Coyote shotgun ammo and choke test

geo4061

I Just ran a 50 yard test on three different brands of 12 gauge Coyote ammo and two different chokes. They are Hornady heavy magnum 3" BB, Federal heavyweight coyote 3" BB, and Hevi-shot 3.5" T. In Oklahoma we can not use Buckshot ,so , I chose these three. I was shooting at poster board with a 10"circle. Remington choke(.660). Hornady XXXXX
Federal 16 hits
Hevi-shot 12 hits

I called Carlson and they sent me a choke( .695).
Hornady 6 hits
Federal 21 hits
Hevi-shot 14 hits
The Hornady did poorly with the Carlson choke so I did not shoot it with the Rem choke. Federal and Carlson were the clear winners.

For 50 yard shots another option you may want to try is your turkey choke with Winchester XR and other similar rounds. I have hammered coyotes every spring with this combo well beyond 50 yards. Its amazing in coyote country how often they come into a turkey decoy! I am using a Winchester X3 with a Briley turkey choke. Pattern is exceptional and performance to boot. I am shooting the 3.5 inch Winchesters XR in #5 shot. I have stone killed coyotes at 70 yards using a range finder to verify distance.

What is the inside diameter of the Briley turkey choke? If you would please put a 10"paper plate at 50 yards and shoot it. Then count the hits. We can add this to my data. My remington choke(.660) is marked turkey predator. Thanks

What is the inside diameter of the Briley turkey choke? If you would please put a 10"paper plate at 50 yards and shoot it. Then count the hits. We can add this to my data. My remington choke(.660) is marked turkey predator. Thanks

If you are using Heavy shot or steel shot the choke needs to be larger not smaller. It is recommended that with ether shot you use an improved modified choke for better patterns.

The really tight turkey chokes are for lead shot only.

I do my test using a 30'' circle with a 2'' dot in the middle @ 40 yards and expect to get at least
75 to 80% of the shot in the circle. Using this criteria I have consistently taken coyotes 65 to 70 yards using #2 and #4 lead shot.

Where lead shot is not allowed, I use a imp. modified choke and a mod choke for best results.

The reason the "Hard shot" don't like the tight chokes is, they don't compress well enough to pass through a full choke.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cho...9ZyrfxT2M:&usg=__jy7E-sGxl5ve6cHk315V8WhICZM=

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

OP,

To answer your question about my Briley, I dont know. I bought it when I had my first Winchester X2 the year they first came out and I cant even read the markings anymore. I bought it for shooting lead turkey loads and than when I ran out I tried it with the New Winchesters at 20, 40 and 50 yards and at 20 it patterned like a softball. At 40 yards it pretty much still took out all the black on the shoot n see targets. At 50 it still had the majority of the pellets on the target. The Winchester XR had a better pattern than the lead rounds I was shooting before. As far as killing yotes in the spring, I have killed many just using a single hen decoy and yelping while hunting turkeys. We also go to our deer hunting land and try to thin out a few yotes in the spring when the fawns are dropping by using a fawn distress call. Even if we cant get them in tight we are shooting at them. I would rather they associate the sound of a fawn in distress as danger than food! Good luck!

I tried my modified rem and high flyer chokes and my shot count was less. I hear about these 70 yard kill shots. Can they be repeated every trip or are they the golden BB? If anyone has or thinks they have better results please post it. In order for us to duplicate it we need the inside diameter of the choke. The 50 yard 10"plate hit count results, the manufacturer ,the shell length, and the shot size. Thanks.

I tried my modified rem and high flyer chokes and my shot count was less. I hear about these 70 yard kill shots. Can they be repeated every trip or are they the golden BB? If anyone has or thinks they have better results please post it. In order for us to duplicate it we need the inside diameter of the choke. The 50 yard 10"plate hit count results, the manufacturer ,the shell length, and the shot size. Thanks.

Just a Little suggestion not to criticize or start an argument but as you have found out, all chokes act different on different guns with different shot sizes.

A shotgun that likes 7 1/2s normally doesn't like 2s or the bigger shot. One that likes 2s normally doesn't like 7 &1/2s.

What works on my shotgun may not work on yours, so you will just have to try different chokes and shot combinations to find what works for you, I have had shotguns that just would not shoot #2s
so they were dedicated to the #5 shot and smaller. fortunately my turkey/coyote shotgun likes the larger shot. for turkeys I use 3&1/2'' 2&1/4oz lead #4s in a extra full (.685 dia.) and a modified (.710 Dia. for steel, heavy shot and buckshot for best results.

In my case if the shot size and pattern are not repeatable "Every time" I don't consider it a good combination. also my preference is 60 yards max with an occasional 70 yard shot if I have no other option but never over 70 yards with my loads and the shotgun I use for this type of shooting.

We also have the option to use buck shot for the really long shots but I still limit my shots to 70 yards even though they will kill farther.

Good luck finding the right choke and shot.

J E CUSTOM

I know things may be different from gun to gun. However, I would like to help others by saving them a few bucks and maybe find an improved load for my gun. J E you and StrutNut have had great luck with lead #4 and #5's. That is the next one I am going to try( Winchester XR ). I appreciate everyone's input in helping to find the best long range ammo.

Just got a box of Winchester XR 3.5" #4's. It is clearly a better choice for Coyotes. It is superior to the other brands that are labeled for Coyotes. Do not waste your money on those. Here are the 50 yard 10" circle results.
Carlson .695 choke---- 61 hits
Remington .660 choke---- 112 hits
Amazing. If there is another contender out there please let me know.

StrutNut, Thank you. Who would have thought a Turkey load would out do all loads especially made for Coyotes. Appreciate your help. If anyone has a factory load they think will outdo the Winchester XR please let us know.

Has anyone tried the Remington Nitro Turkey loads? If so please put them through the 50 yard 10" pie plate test and let us know Thanks.

morning, Fed. 3" mag. #4 buckshot has 41 pellets. coyote choke on a 11-87 12ga.

SPS police special, 35 yrds, 14" target on cardboard, 80% saturation.lightbulb sellier and ballot 00

buckshot 3" mag. 12ga. 18 pellets. very good to 50yrds. 24" pattern

The problem with the lead #4 & 5 bird shot is it really limits your range. I wouldnt shoot it past maybe 40 yards. Buckshot or T shot is a much better choice in my experiance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.