Coyote setup

hilltopdude

This is my first post here, greetings to all. I have never hunted Coyote.
There seems to have been a huge burst in the Coyote population around
our farm. I have shot a few with my 30-06 when I caught one in the feild
and from my deer stand. I am going to start this year activly going after them.
I several rifles in differant cal. But I want to build a Coyote rifle on the AR15
frame I have a Bushmaster with open sites and feel compfortable with this rifle. SO let the advise fly, and please let me know what your setup is. I don't
want to use the current AR, I am going to start from scratch, and TRY to stay
under 1500.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Unless you are dead set on a .223/5.56 I would build an 18 inch 6.5 Grendel using a Liberty barrel ( Saturn ) and use a MI ss forearm. I'd stick a standard Vortex Viper PA 6.5 - 20 x 50 on top using Warnee Tactical quick detach rings. A simple ACE skeleton stock would work (that's what I use), but I'd probably put a PRS sniper stock on it since you'd be shooting prone most of the time. I'd also get an Atlas bipod for it. I'd also get an Atlas mono-pod. I use one on my rifles. Great for shooting prone.

I buy all my AR parts at Surplus Arms and Ammo. They have great prices. Their product is very very good. They have goo things to say about them on AR15.com (hate that site). The plus is .... they are only 20 miles from me.

I'd also use a WCI muzzle brake. Excellent brake .... and looks good on there. It's also not nearly as loud as some muzzle brakes.

Here's what mine looks like ........

100_0855.jpg

100_0854.jpg

100_0852.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/6-5-grendel-ar-81801/

Click on the link right above this sentence to see pics of my setup.

20" Saturn barrel w/bolt
Millennium muzzle brake bought from Alexander Arms.
Timmey trigger
Magpul PRS buttstock
Fail zero bolt carrier
6-24x50 Nikon monarch
Upper and lower are RRA I believe but they might be by Lauer custom. I can't remember.

I use Alexander arms brass which is made by Lapua. The bullet I use is the 100 gr nosler ballistic tip. I will be trying the 120 ballistic tips here soon.

29.5 gr of H322 for the 100 gr bullet goes an avg of 2850 fps

30.5 gr of varget works well with the 120 gr bullet at around 2650 to 2700.

I would definitely start lower than these loads and work up for pressure signs if you go this route.

I've been busy the last month,,, lost my job so whata heck, I retired.
I,m in the process of setting up my Bushmaster 223 for coyotes' so I can recognize what I shoot now./ My 308 Savage is going under surgery for a new scope 5 to 16 power scope.

I got two babies for retirement , the Bushmaster 223 and a DPMS LR 308/7.62 NATO hee hee hee. I got a 3x9 power Bushnell on the 223, but I 'm not through with it yet.
The LR 308 is strictly experimental for me right now and one of the finest shooting rifles I ever owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.