Coyote hunting with an injury

MKP777

I have an injury I've been dealing with for a couple years. It makes shooting prone too difficult.
I have to deal with coyotes and I have gotten a few but as I stated in other posts, they've learned to stay out of my range. So I'm just getting setup with a longer range 6.5CM rifle.
I tried hunting by hiding next to rocks or tree stumps under a camo net but can't get a good hold or site picture.
So I started thinking maybe I'd build a blind and in that blind a small shooting platform or bench.

I found a place that looks out over a canyon in my backyard.

Anyone else done this?
M

Yep. I can not shoot prone. I can get down, but it would be very difficult to get up due to botched knee surgeries.

I sit on a small chair and use a tripod with a leveling head or a Swagger Q-42 bipod. Setup works great for me.

Due to neck and lower back injuries, I can't shoot prone now either. I still use the setting position with something at my back like a cut bank or large sagebrush. I shoot the way I was taught using my body knees, arms to stabilize my rifle but for most a good tripod or long bi pod might be better. With the amount of ground that I travel a blind wouldn't be practical for my use. In my area faded brown duck clothing works well as camo it blends in well with the dried grasses and dirt of my country.

Tripod with a backpack for a rear rest. Maybe one of the PRS guys can chime in with a better rear rest. I used shooting sticks with a backpack rear rest. but the new tripods and an Arca rail would be an improvement over my shooting sticks.

Yep. I can not shoot prone. I can get down, but it would be very difficult to get up due to botched knee surgeries.

I sit on a small chair and use a tripod with a leveling head or a Swagger Q-42 bipod. Setup works great for me.
It's exactly what I do! Look up the sly dog coyote chair that works great and has a pouch in the back for your calls and then a tripod or the swagger bipod with that.

Currently feeling my way through building a bench to use in a blind.
I have the frame built and I am contemplating using my BOG tripod with it. I need a place to put my elbows to give me more stability.
So I am thinking my way through that.
If I sit on a 15 inch tall bucket and the surface of the bench is 29 inches tall, the height to the actual rifle rest, (the BOG) will be the rest of the height.
I figure I can pin a platform of wood to extend out for my right hand elbow to rest on. Pinned so I can move it side to side as needed.
The goal is to sit this apparatus under a sort of tent of camo netting deep enough that my muzzle doesn't stick out of it.
I found a natural ledge that is mostly level, which over looks the canyon. Its about 150 feet above the canyon floor.
The far side of the canyon is 920 yards.
There may be times I have to fire downwards when the coyote is 150-200 yds and then again way out.
I'm looking at a 40 to 45 degree arc that is available to fire from.
This is a lot more complex than I'd considered. But its mostly due to my physical limitations.
When I was in the Army I fired a rifle from prone in any terrain, weather or conditions and I was fine.
If I was that guy now, I'd need none of this and a simple front bipod would be a luxury.

I have new incentive.
Yesterday I woke to the chickens squawking loudly. I got out of bed and ran to the first gun I got to, which is a Remington 700 PSS in 223. It has a heavy barrel and a 3.5-10X40 scope.
Not a great rifle for a quick offhand shot.
I saw the coyote at about 50 yards running with the chicken in its jaws. I could see the chicken was alive still.
I fired from offhand and the coyote immediately cut left and turned on the burners. But it dropped the chicken which immediately started running back towards me. By the time I worked the bolt the coyote was gone.
The chicken seems to be recovering.
I went up to where it was when I fired. I followed the trail of chicken feathers that was thick by the house where the coyote grabbed the chicken and got progressively less until I found a tuft of what I think might be coyote fur, I saw its tracks where it cut hard left and the feather trail ends there.
I also forgot hearing protection in my haste and had a headache for awhile.
I will report further progress.