Coyote calling surprise!!!!!

That's a huge female.....
Gotta watch the ones sneaking in behind...makexyou buttpucker.....
Had one cross a road in front of me a long time ago...slammed the truck in park and grabbed my bow fro mthe seat...ran up the road...didnt see it...made some squeaking noises and it popped its head up behind some brush...shot right over top of its head...it snarled and screamed and ran up the hill...again head shot...right over top again....it snarled and screamed as it ran around and down the fire trial...this time I could see it ls chest...i slid that arrow right thru the front of it chest and the arrow cut the artery in the frint leg...spurting blood allover the place....i let it go for a few minutes...started trailing it...lost its trail at the bottom of a steep bank....climbed up and made circles looking for blood...nothing...i came back two days....nothing to go on...back a third day....saw a huge lion track size of a ball cap on the blood trail....at the bottom of the hill there was a huge pile of hair....the cat i shot climbed into the undercut bank....the big cat climbed in there and drug it out...and ate it................wasnt so scared of the cat I shot.......petrefied of the one which ate the one I shot......very leery after that......

Congratulations, about 10 years ago We called one in while coyote hunting in New Mexico. I had a five day Elk hunt, and got an elk on my third day. So my guide and I decided to coyote hunt the last two days we were there. We called one in, but I did not have a license to shoot it. So he got to walk. My guide said that is the first time he had ever called in a mountain lion with a predator call.

We had a cougar around one of my turkey hunting areas in South Carolina several years ago. I remember the growls would send chills down my spine. I saw plenty of tracks but never saw the cat unfortunately. You made a fine shot, congratulations on your calling and shooting talents.

Hey Guys, got a calling story for you!
On Thanksgiving Day, we got done with dinner & the family stuff really early. Since I have a whitetail doe tag, I decided to go to one of the 3 units it is valid for. I parked on state property & seen 2 moose right away. Kept hiking about another mile & seen no deer sign but I had been following a pair of very fresh coyote tracks. I came to a rough little canyon where I had some visibility so I decided to try to kill those coyotes. I always have a few mouth calls in my pack no matter what I am hunting because predators are my favorite critter to hunt. I had been calling less than 10 minutes when I seen something coming. I knew immediately that it was not a coyote but thought it was a bobcat. I was sitting there wishing bobcat season was open when I seen a long tail! It was a lion. It sat down near a pine tree at about 120 yards & was just watching my direction. I had a lion tag with me. I tried all my soft coaxing sounds that usually work on coyotes but it would not move closer or turn so I would have a broadside shot. I was carrying my custom 22-250 built on a Winchester action with a 28" Shilen barrel. It is a tack driver. I reload 52 grain Hornady A-Max's in that rifle. Very accurate & also a good fur bullet. I finally decided to take the shot. I slowly got my rifle up on my shooting sticks knowing the shot would have to be very precise to drop this large predator. I centered the crosshairs of my Leupold 5HD 3x15 scope on the throat of that cat & touched the trigger. I hit exactly where I was aiming! The cat dropped in it's tracks!
I have hunted/called predators for 30 years & this is the pinnacle of my calling career. There is no female quota in the unit I was in so I knew I did'nt have to worry about that. It was a female & when I checked it into the fish & game, they said it was 4-5 years old.

Thanks, Kirk View attachment 162006 View attachment 162007 View attachment 162008
Great story, thanks for sharing!

The mountain men claimed that cougar was the best meat in America. I hope you ate her. I love that pretty red coat.

She's a beauty. Congrats

I was coyote hunting and called in a lion near Trinidad Colorado but she came in behind me and I was sitting on the ground. I felt like I was being watched and when I turned around she was about crouched about 20 yards behind me. We were both quite surprised and way before I could get my 22-250 turned around she bounded off. It took several hours for my hair to quit standing on end. Needless to say I was spooked in a BIG way.

My buddy and I had that happen one time while calling 'yotes, except we never saw the cat. We couldn't believe that nothing came in to the call, on the perfect set-up. As we were leaving, we took about four steps back toward the pick-up, and there in the snow was the biggest set of lion tracks either of us had ever seen ! It was right behind us, about one pounce away. If we hadn't been backed up against the rimrock, at least one of us probably would have gotten munched on that day. The hair still stands up on my neck whenever I think about it.

Hey Guys, got a calling story for you!
On Thanksgiving Day, we got done with dinner & the family stuff really early. Since I have a whitetail doe tag, I decided to go to one of the 3 units it is valid for. I parked on state property & seen 2 moose right away. Kept hiking about another mile & seen no deer sign but I had been following a pair of very fresh coyote tracks. I came to a rough little canyon where I had some visibility so I decided to try to kill those coyotes. I always have a few mouth calls in my pack no matter what I am hunting because predators are my favorite critter to hunt. I had been calling less than 10 minutes when I seen something coming. I knew immediately that it was not a coyote but thought it was a bobcat. I was sitting there wishing bobcat season was open when I seen a long tail! It was a lion. It sat down near a pine tree at about 120 yards & was just watching my direction. I had a lion tag with me. I tried all my soft coaxing sounds that usually work on coyotes but it would not move closer or turn so I would have a broadside shot. I was carrying my custom 22-250 built on a Winchester action with a 28" Shilen barrel. It is a tack driver. I reload 52 grain Hornady A-Max's in that rifle. Very accurate & also a good fur bullet. I finally decided to take the shot. I slowly got my rifle up on my shooting sticks knowing the shot would have to be very precise to drop this large predator. I centered the crosshairs of my Leupold 5HD 3x15 scope on the throat of that cat & touched the trigger. I hit exactly where I was aiming! The cat dropped in it's tracks!
I have hunted/called predators for 30 years & this is the pinnacle of my calling career. There is no female quota in the unit I was in so I knew I did'nt have to worry about that. It was a female & when I checked it into the fish & game, they said it was 4-5 years old.

Thanks, Kirk View attachment 162006 View attachment 162007 View attachment 162008
Wow, that's a nice cat. Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.