Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

Based on the Price Fish & Game Office back in 2010 there were approximately 1800-1900 elk on the unit. At that time the elk were well above the objective population of 1,000 elk. 30% of the bulls on the unit are mature. There is excellent opportunity for a nice bull if drawn.

During the summer and early fall the elk are on private property. These areas include Argyle Ridge, Minnie Maud Ridge, as well as the top portions of Cottonwood, Bishop, and Steer Ridges. Access to these areas is very limited. Much of the acreage is managed as Cooperative Wildlife Management Units (CWMU's). Elk will move on to winter ranges and on public land with colder more winter like weather.

Accessible areas for public land hunters would include the following: Upper Range Creek near Bruin Point, Cottonwood and Bishop Ridges (accessible only from the Nine Mile Canyon side). Dry Canyon, and Prickly Pear Bench. There are isolated public lands in Argyle Canyon as well.

I also recommend Whitmore Park Rd off of the 191 north of Helper. Take the road going east (a right turn across from the Bamberger Monumont on 191).
Nearby is the Dodge Power Plant. Whitmore connects to Nine Mile Road. We saw allot of elk sign all along this road every morning. They apparently fed at night on the surrounding foothills and moved back to the north into the rimrock.

Close friends I've made who live in Provo, hunt Cold Springs Canyon every time they have drawn bull tags with 90% success. Access is off of Nine Mile Road east of Dry Canyon.

Don't forget to drive up on Harmon Canyon as there is a vast next work of roads, canyons and draws coming off of the plateau. We found a tremendous amount of elk sign when we were there.

Make sure you have snow chains, a farmers jack, tow chains, tow straps, shovels and plenty of rope. We used 1200 feet of rope to drag our elk down off a mountain side into a canyon I was able to drive my truck into.

Top photo: My brother Tony on Left, I'm on the right.
Bottom photo: Look closely and you'll see me moving down to the large boulder where I had rolled my brother's cow. Very Steep and Icy.

Good Luck on your hunt.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Attachments

• Dry Canyon Elk.jpg
    Dry Canyon Elk.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Recoverying Tony's elk.jpg
    Recoverying Tony's elk.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 173
Gonzo,
Thanks for the info and thanks for your servicelightbulb
looking forward to enjoying the outdoors in two weeks !!!
Back side of Pendleton
Jerry

Thanks Airacer25,

Good luck on your hunt, enjoy and have a good time.

A couple of my friends have already scored on big mulie bucks and one very nice 6x6 bull elk. The bucks came from an area near Castle Valley south of Price. The bull came out of an area south of Richfield.

Love Utah.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

i am hunting this unit in jan for cow. this is only my 3rd year hunting and i am not above asking for help :) if anyone is hunting the late hunt and needs a buddy i have no problem pulling my weight and some.
I just really wanna put the smack down gun) on one this year, it would be my first big game.

I am new to hunting this year and also need a buddy Shawn got the last late elk tag for this unit let me know if you still need a buddy

I bought a cow tag for this unit for late hunt January 2014. I have went out with friend on this unit several times. But this is the first time I have had a tag to hunt this unit. After reading your post I am even more excited about this hunt. Thanks gonzo will post updates on my upcoming hunt.

Sent you and Jay a private message. I have a house in the area would not mind buddying up for the late hunt January 2014.

Apologies ahead of time for the thread necromancy. :)

Second year elk hunting (4th year living in Utah/Heber Valley) and just learned that cow permits for 9-mile usually are leftover from the regular draw period. Did a google search and up popped this thread. This morning is chilly and wet here, and feels perfect for these type of thoughts.

Anyway, awesome thread and much great info and food for thought. I appreciate the folks who have gone before and have shared the wisdom!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.