County sheriff letter

Laws vary by state/county. In Texas I know I could send it to the county sheriff (El Paso = more liberal) or state attorney general. I sent it to the state attorney general every time. I have a paper filed stamp that was cashed at the beginning of October 2021. Still waiting on the final approval. Should be any day now.

I do NOT know what the procedure is today , But i 1996 I purchased a 1928 Thompson full-auto Tommy Gun through a Class III dealer here in Texas . Part of the application process , at that time , was that I had to have a document SIGNED by the Chief law enforcement Officer in my locality , or the document had to be signed by a Judge , stating that I was a law-abiding citizen with no past criminal history . This document was sent in to ATF , along with fingerprints , passport-style photo , application for ATF Stamp , and $200.00 non-refundable fee , BEFORE the ATF would process my Class III application .

DMP25-06

I do NOT know what the procedure is today , But i 1996 I purchased a 1928 Thompson full-auto Tommy Gun through a Class III dealer here in Texas . Part of the application process , at that time , was that I had to have a document SIGNED by the Chief law enforcement Officer in my locality , or the document had to be signed by a Judge , stating that I was a law-abiding citizen with no past criminal history . This document was sent in to ATF , along with fingerprints , passport-style photo , application for ATF Stamp , and $200.00 non-refundable fee , BEFORE the ATF would process my Class III application .

DMP25-06
Correct. ATF41F did away with the sign off requirement. Now it is only a notification to CLEO.

After the long awaited atf jail time for my new first ever suppressor I am now waiting for the county sheriff to receive the letter that silencer central has mailed to them stating that this equipment will be in the county. They won't ship it until the sheriff receives this letter. Just curious if this letter is required by law? Do other companies do this if it is not required. Thanks
Never heard of it either. Not in Oklahoma. It must be a requirement in his home state.

It is a federal requirement to notify CLEO. I've never heard of having to wait for confirmation of notification.
As an FFL, my guess is that it is for liability reasons. They are required to notify the CLEO and until the CLEO actually receives it, their part is not done. There is too man ways to get sued so I cannot blame them for waiting. One mistake and one lawsuit can bankrupt a business.

Rule 41F Click here to read

As an FFL, my guess is that it is for liability reasons. They are required to notify the CLEO and until the CLEO actually receives it, their part is not done. There is too man ways to get sued so I cannot blame them for waiting. One mistake and one lawsuit can bankrupt a business.

I don't see how there could be any liability on their part. If they are smart they ship it certified or other means of tracking.

DMP25-06
back when I was a class III dealer, this was the way it had to work also
and if for what ever reason a county sheriff where you lived refused to OK things, you were screwed
unless you had deep pockets to fight things

I can even recall one customer, that had bought 3 class II guns, and went to buy a 4 th, and the sheriff told him NO< that he FELT that 3 was more than enough for any one person to own! and refused to sign paper work!
it ended up in a court battle that took a few yrs to work out, and a lot of costs besides legal fee's as values on class II items back then climbed at some pretty fast rates
I am NOT up to date on the new rules, things MAY have changed or have ways around them, due to how popular suppressors have become, and who know's if it could just be different deal on an class actually firearm as to say just a "part such as a suppressor!

from my understanding and again from back in the 90's, it was done to allow law enforcement in the county you lived in KNOW who had full auto weapons and the likes, nothing about liability, just a sort of, way of letting the local sheriff know who had weapons of such!