Coronavirus and Grocery stores

mobenzowner

Good afternoon all. I am the president and ceo of a grocery store chain made up of 110 stores in 8 different states. I am curious as to what the members here think of some stores putting up plexiglass barriers on check out lanes. I dont want to influence anyone's opinion here one way or the other.

I dont know how to do a poll so informally, do you all believe that is:
a) a good idea, would help protect both consumer and employee
b) a bad idea, would do little if anything to help stop the spread
c) no opinion either way, in effect immaterial

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. I am the president and ceo of a grocery store chain made up of 110 stores in 8 different states. I am curious as to what the members here think of some stores putting up plexiglass barriers on check out lanes. I dont not want to influence anyone's opinion here one way or the other.

a:) a good idea, would help protect both consumer and employee
b;) a bad idea, would do little if anything to help stop the spread
c:) no opinion either way, in effect immaterial

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea and will (help) protect your employees who are within 2' of hundreds of people per day.

And while I'm at it let me say THANK YOU to you and all of your brave employees who are now more like emergency first responders. They clearly take some risk in their roll to provide an essential service to the public.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. I am the president and ceo of a grocery store chain made up of 110 stores in 8 different states. I am curious as to what the members here think of some stores putting up plexiglass barriers on check out lanes. I dont want to influence anyone's opinion here one way or the other.

a) a good idea, would help protect both consumer and employee
b) a bad idea, would do little if anything to help stop the spread
c) no opinion either way, in effect immaterial

yes. and after seeing some of the people at walmart, I suggest a decontamination chamber for anyone entering the store.

I think it is a good idea and will (help) protect your employees who are within 2' of hundreds of people per day.

And while I'm at it let me say THANK YOU to you and all of your brave employees who are now more like emergency first responders. They clearly take some risk in their roll to provide essential service to the public.

Thank you sir for the kind words. Our associates have really taken to the challenge. They have made me very proud. It is not often you get to do your job, and serve our great country at the same time. This is our opportunity to step up.

On a side note, many in this business are being called price gougers. Our cost of product on beef grinds and basically all protein has jumped tremendously. We have also had to turn to non-traditional grocery suppliers to try and put product on the shelves many times at a higher cost than normal. As a matter of choice I have made the effort to absorb many of the price increases as passed on to us. I am lucky as we have the financial wherewithal to do so. We are of course doing heavy volumes to offset our increased costs to some degree. Many of the retailers in this business are single store operators who have been badly hurt by the costco's, WMSC's etc and really aren't strong enough not to pass on most of their increases. Ground beef I had to increase retail on, but to a degree such as that I am making 17% less margin than we did just 10 days ago. I can assure all the vast majority in this business realize the responsibilities we are entrusted with at this time and are doing whatever we can to keep product on the shelves.

Several gas stations in and around middle TN have already done this. Certainly viewed favorably by employees and consumers alike from what I can tell. Speaks to the level of understanding that essential industries, such as yours, must stay open but that all is being done to limit exposure to all parties.

HMMM not the number of responses I was hoping for. Looks like you're not going to need the six pack for this one. lol
Sorry, lol
Being I am not qualified to answer, I clicked in for notifications, All coming from me is speculation.
I look at it like this, you will allow for some separation from airborne germs. But the handling of packages is still a thing, I handle, put in the cart, cough on it, on the carts, on the items. Your checkers handle everything I do, hopefully with gloves and a mask. But if I am not infected, but now your checker has come in contact with virus and can pass it via boxes, packaging. Dog eat doggie world.

My main concern if I were you would be my employees. But you also cannot infect the public, don't want the publicity of your store being the nucleus, lol. Going to take out only, phone orders, phone app system, for people not smart phone savoy, pull up, honk the horn, have an employee grab his list, fill the order. Set times when orders can be picked up.
I just know from me picking out bell peppers, onions, fruits, veggies, I handle 10 to buy one or two, I like fat pork chops and meaty chicken, so I am touching.
Common sense on both sides needs to be embraced. These idiots stockpiling crap for the apocalypse are the same ones who will not curtail one aspect of their lives.
So there it is, PS, I don't drink..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.