Store and new Hand loaders

Mike Matteson

In talking with my son. he was at major sporting good store the other day. A person came to the counter and began asking a sale person on powders, and using it in different rifle. He complaining about the lack of powder choices. Only green dot still on the shelves. The person said no experience in hand loading. He purchase some equipment to reload with. Anyway the sales person suggested he could use green dot with his rifle. Now I hand loaded for most of my life (rifle,pistol, shotgun). I never seen where green dot was used in a rifle, only in pistol and shotguns. My son ask the person if he had a reloading manual, and the reply was no. My son suggested that he get one and read it from cover to cover, before going forward. Hopefully this person listens and reads before doing anything else. It's probable hard to find sale people that has experience in reloading. Bottom line is a fool is asking a fool for advise. SAD!

Oh he will definitely get higher velocity! Turn that rifle into a single shot, as in never fire another round again.
The fire forming load is a small charge (cartridge dependent) of a fast burning powder (like green dot) then fill the case with cream of wheat and stuff the case neck with toilet paper or paper towel. It's an alternative to firing a bullet from a loaded round to get the case to form to an improved chamber. Some like it, some don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.