Core-lokt

Yep, guys have been shooting half moa with these things for years. Not the highest BC projo out there, but they've taken an awful lot of game, and been doing it for a long time. Remington's "Old Glory" bullet. This post triggers fond memories of the days of family hunting when I was a boy growing up on the family farm. Hunting with my dad, brothers, and uncles. Good days. Thanks for the reflective trip, OP.
This reminds me of my 1st Bull I was 13 and using a Marlin lever action chambered in 35 Remington loaded with Remington corelockets. 6 on 1 side 7 on the other in a lodge pole pine thicket up Marble creek out of Baker, Oregon. Those were the best days.

I bought a Model 70 in .270Win. Out of the box with a new scope(boresighted) using Corelokt 130 grain ammo, the first two shots went through the same hotel with the third shot touching the first hole. Works for me!!!

You all are encouraging a price increase. STOP. Several years back had a 270 that shot the 130s well. Called the plant up, talked with the production manager and he inlightened me on many things regarding Ammo production! Bottom line is, lot to lot they change (not the same inside them). He did steer me in the right direction as far as burn rate, ball……I did manage with little effort to work up a comparable load (better)!

I used them in my old .270 for many years. No telling how many deer were killed with that rifle/ammo combo. Several in the family killed their first deer with it. Only had one fail me. I think it may have been a little low on powder. Just didn't sound or feel right when it went off. Otherwise, they were one shot kills.

I bought a Model 70 in .270Win. Out of the box with a new scope(boresighted) using Corelokt 130 grain ammo, the first two shots went through the same hotel with the third shot touching the first hole. Works for me!!!
I hope no one got hurt from 🤪. (Dam auto spill)

Any of those cheap flat base soft points seem to be accurate both as factory and component bullets. Federal blue box (which I believe are Speer hot cor), Winchester super x with power points, Remington cor lokt, and for handloading Sierra pro hunters and hornady interlocks.

ive actually given this as standard "starting out handloading" advice. Take a flat base soft point (any will do, but I recommend hornady interlocks if for no other reason than that they're available more often than others). Load to standard coal on top of 1 grain under book max for that exact bullet with any of the old school imr single base stick powders - 4895, 4064, 4350, 4831, 7828ssc, whatever gives the best case fill - standard primers - and this load will tell you a whole lot about what your rifle will ever be capable of. You can improve upon this loads power for sure, and you can load projectiles for higher bc or tougher terminal performance or whatever, but this boring lazy load will probably shoot to within 90 percent of what your rifle is ever going to be capable of doing as far as 100 yard groups go and it serves as a useful yardstick against which to compare your other handloads going forward from there. Put another way, if a given rifle shoots terribly with this kind of load I predict you'll have a miserable time finding anything it DOES like. My standard advice to new guys.

Any of those cheap flat base soft points seem to be accurate both as factory and component bullets. Federal blue box (which I believe are Speer hot cor), Winchester super x with power points, Remington cor lokt, and for handloading Sierra pro hunters and hornady interlocks.

ive actually given this as standard "starting out handloading" advice. Take a flat base soft point (any will do, but I recommend hornady interlocks if for no other reason than that they're available more often than others). Load to standard coal on top of 1 grain under book max for that exact bullet with any of the old school imr single base stick powders - 4895, 4064, 4350, 4831, 7828ssc, whatever gives the best case fill - standard primers - and this load will tell you a whole lot about what your rifle will ever be capable of. You can improve upon this loads power for sure, and you can load projectiles for higher bc or tougher terminal performance or whatever, but this boring lazy load will probably shoot to within 90 percent of what your rifle is ever going to be capable of doing as far as 100 yard groups go and it serves as a useful yardstick against which to compare your other handloads going forward from there. Put another way, if a given rifle shoots terribly with this kind of load I predict you'll have a miserable time finding anything it DOES like. My standard advice to new guys.
Here is one of my most accurate loads in my Sako 85 Finnlight.
AF933C6E-9020-4C95-8198-DF382BCEEA92.jpeg

Funny how silver tips are back in the form of Hornady A-Tip.
Reminiscent as well of the old school Remington bronze point. Metal as a superior ballistic material to plastic? There is nothing new under the sun…. While we're at it it could be noted that Nosler didn't invent plastic tipped bullets either…CIL/Dominion up here in Canada had been making something like a ballistic tip (Sabre tip) long before Nosler made theirs famous. There is nothing new under the sun…

My first deer was with win super x powerpoints. And my second…and third…and most all of them till I started handloading