Cooper 92 6.5-284 gaining accuracy

As a big fan of 6.5-284 and a big fan of coopers ( I have 5 ), I thought I would log in an give my once a year opinion. Firstly, I find all their barrels to be accurate but lower velocities and pressure signs before I near max loads. All can shoot 5 shot 100 yard groups under 0.75" with a load it likes.

I was fortunate with my 6.5-284 Cooper Phoenix to quickly find a load with 142 gr SMK and R22 that would repeat groups 0.3 to 0.4" when I kept the bullets seated 15 thousandths off the lands. I did not notice but I hope you are using Lapua brass. I have over 1500 rounds through the barrel and no degradation in accuracy....yet...but I know it is coming.

Where I will switch my direction is your comment on using Berger. I shoot F Class and just put my 5th barrel on my 308. I have found Berger bullets extremely accurate once you test the "bullet jump" for your barrel. I have had barrels that like 5 thou and some that like 30 thou. All cut with the same reamer on Kriegers. My opinion is to experiment with jump once you have measured OAL to lands with a great tool like Sinclair. My tool is 20 years old but I am sure you can still get one.

I hope you get yours to shoot well. Copper makes an outstanding product and stands behind them.

Your shooting friend from Canada.
A little off the subject, a lot of pros and cons on cooper's. I've coveted them for a long time. Wondered about your opinion on a wilson savage prefit barrel. There out there pretty reasonably priced. Comments ?

I recently bought a Cooper 92 Backcountry in 6.5-284. Best group with handloads was .3" at 100 yards with 140 Berger elite hunters and H4350 pushing them 2890. Crazy how well they shoot considering how light the rifle is. Can't wait to pack it this year hunting.

Any update on your rifle from cooper? Mine is doing the same thing not ejecting the brass, sometimes case sticking in the chamber also. Doesn't take much to tap the out but it's frustrating me. I emailed them last week, haven't heard back

Any update on your rifle from cooper? Mine is doing the same thing not ejecting the brass, sometimes case sticking in the chamber also. Doesn't take much to tap the out but it's frustrating me. I emailed them last week, haven't heard back
I havent heard anything.

I talked to Glen on the phone and Andrew finally replied to my email. Both feel its the extractor and asked for the bolt .I Sent it in Monday . They said that would get it back right away.

I just emailed Andrew. We will see how it goes. I might buy an AR50 A1 this weekend just because. Hope it puts more smiles on my face than my cooper so far.

They mailed me a slip over scope cover like a coozie and some stickers. I think I am going to ask them to send it back to me so I can send it to a smith for repair and re barrel since they cant seem to get to it. They must have an extremely long line of warranty claims.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.