Cooper 52 Excalibur -help

cody6510

So yesterday I finally made it to the range with my new Cooper 52 Excalibur in 300wm. While shooting I discovered two significant problems and am curious if there is a easy fix to either. First, when I shoot the rifle the rear of the magazine comes unseated and drops low enough to the point that the bolt does not pick up the next round. Second, after firing a shot the spent brass is hitting the windage knob (almost every time), and then landing back in the chamber. I am using a luepold vx3 and talley one piece low rings, as recommended by cooper. I'm just a little agitated because I love this rifle, it shoots amazing, but these two issues have essentially turned the gun into a single shot rifle. I think I may know the fix for the magazine issue, but don't want to do something that is incorrect and end up with more problems. Also, FWIW the rifle only has approximately 15 rds through it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The magazine issue I would talk to cooper about. The spent case hitting the windage turret is not uncommon with different rifles. With my 280ai excalibur I put a 0 moa rail on it which lifted the scope enough to clear. I also found that the case would eject fine if there was still one in the mag but the last one would sometimes fall back into the receiver. The other thing I found was being very positive with cycling the bolt helped a lot.

I also own a cooper rifle, which I am extremely pleased with. I wouldn't think twice about buying another. I have a good idea what you payed for that. Personally, for that kind of money, I would let them know how unsatisfied I was with what I received. I wouldn't hesitate to call them. I would do it calmly, but I would express my concern. That's not the kind of quality you expect from what they claim to provide. I'm sure if you made a nice polite but to the point call to Cooper, you will find them more than willing to help you. Let us know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.