Coolest trigger guard?

I'm not excited about the "squareness" of pictured guard. How about something like the one you pictured but with a little more roundness then a drop down curve for a middle finger rest. Also be cool if it could be hinged as to release the mag box on a detachable mag set up? Just throwing out an idea. I always thought a middle finger rest would serve as a more stable rest.
All for it, just a pic or drawing would help :) hard to get a good idea textually. I kinda like the more angular trigger guards...

I'm guessing thwatson's idea is along the lines of the Schuetzen (sp?) trigger guards, although maybe not so Baroque in shape.
iu

Last edited:
I made one for a mossburg patriot that I got Boyd stock for. Aluminum alot nicer than plastic. Also made a couple for friends f-class custom stock. Don't know if I have pictures but were pretty standard design.

It would be fine for a BR rifle but not for a hunting rig.

Twigs etc could snag it and possibly break it. Or worse if the safety was off for any reason.

View attachment 239647

I really like the Gunwerks BDL setup.
I have one custom rifle, a 280 AI that has a pre-64 Model 70 action that was worked on by Pete Grisell. One of the things that he did was put the magazine release on the inside of the trigger guard similar to this picture of the Gunwerks rifle. I didn't like it because the recoil would sometimes cause my finger to hit the release, open the magazine and three rounds would fall on the ground. It happened to me one time while hunting up in the Priest Lake region in Idaho. It was one of those miserable days in late November, a wet snow was falling and with the temp/humidity, I had to constantly try to wipe off the moisture off the scope (this is a Leupold and it was not internal fogging it was surface moisture/fogging). I was sitting in an old rickety wood tree stand and I shot a really nice ten point whitetail although I could hardly see through the scope and I was twisted way around to my right trying to shoot over my right shoulder, very awkward. The deer went down but then got up and started to stagger down through the woods and I went to jack in another round and try to finish him off. However, there was no shell there to jack it in! I had accidently hit the box release and three shells feel out the rifle. Two them feel to the ground but fortunately one of them was laying on the wooden seat of this old piece of junk tree stand that I even shouldn't have been sitting in it anyway! I was able to grab it and stuff it in the rifle and finish the buck off that was kind of leaning on a tree down below me. As we used to say in Vermont, this is a no s--- story! I still have the rifle because it has always been the best shooter I have ever had, but I still have to be conscious of not letting that happen again. So my suggestion is as far as designing a custom trigger guard, I would put the magazine release outside it, not inside, if applicable.

These will simply be adl style trigger guards for my rifles. Lots of dusty, high desert, mountain hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.