Converting yards into clicks ????

Ken, I hear what you're saying. The old days you used to just memorize a few numbers and practice. The problem I see with this technic is if you are looking at a deer down range around 500 yards and you put your mil dot on it that represents 500 and you pull the trigger, the one thing you can't see is, is the body of the deer 18" tall or are is it 28" tall? You're talking about a 10" difference that comes out to a 277 yard difference. I don't know about you but when I'm off by 277 yards I generally miss the shot. This is why I want to take the time to do the math to figure out exactly the yards of the animal that I'm shooting at and adjust my scope to compensate. The last thing I want to do is take a shot on an animal, injure it and not be able to recover it. The more I know about the tools I use for hunting the better off I will be. I mean no disrespect to the old ways of doing things but I need to get better and the only way I know how to do that is to get with the times and step up to the new generation. Now keep in mind after printing out the charts I'm still going to go out to the range and confirm all the data then make the necessary corrections. I thank you for your input and will always look to all of you for more guidance as I grow with my hobby. If it wasn't for all of you I would still be at the range wondering why I'm not hitting anything.

IMO, w/regard to speed and precision;
Laser rangefinders have replaced bracket ranging, and ballistic dialing has replaced holding over.

There are many who cling to otherwise for some reason. But add real world hunting situations(not steel target shooting) & someone with a Mk4/NXS scope, Leica Geovid, and a local-recent run click card would truly be better equipped for precision shooting.
I've taken woodchucks with headshots(when that's all I had) beyond 500yds. I'm confident this is not done with FFP mildot scopes, because it's not even possible with them. The reticle would completely obscure the target, Mildot hold-offs are too coarse for the shot, and woodchucks crawl along, and stand, at different heights(they don't play the bracketing game).

28" Tall deer ( chest to back I assume), I want to hunt where you live! Those are some big deer!

Loner, yah I guess that would be a really big deer. I was just trying to make a point about being off by inches can be a big miss when your shooting at long ranges. Although some of the mule deer here in northern California may be real close to that size. Sorry for the exaggeration.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.