Convert 7-08 brass to 260 Rem Brass

hnts4fun

I own 2 different rifles chambered in 260 Remington; and I wanted to keep brass separate when reloading for one or the other. My theoretical solution was to pick up 200 pieces of 7-08 brass that I plan on using exclusively for one of the rifles.

I believe this to be a relatively straightforward process, but I won't know for sure until my 2nd 260 is completed in a month or so. My reloading guru said the 7-08 brass seems to have a neck that is a skosh shorter than my 260 Remington brass.

Question: After coming up with a pressure safe and accurate load using the 7-08 brass in a 260 chamber, do you think I can go straight to reloading original 7-08 brass and using them as performance rounds in my 260; or would I need to essentially "fire form" the 7-08 brass first, trim to length, then treat the brass as if it were regular 260 brass?

I don't reload because my hands don't function the way they used to. I have relied on a trusted friend, who is an experienced reloader, to reload for me. This has worked for us to excellent effect the last 20 years. This is just not something either one of us has done and I'd like to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

I own 2 different rifles chambered in 260 Remington; and I wanted to keep brass separate when reloading for one or the other. My theoretical solution was to pick up 200 pieces of 7-08 brass that I plan on using exclusively for one of the rifles.

I believe this to be a relatively straightforward process, but I won't know for sure until my 2nd 260 is completed in a month or so. My reloading guru said the 7-08 brass seems to have a neck that is a skosh shorter than my 260 Remington brass.

Question: After coming up with a pressure safe and accurate load using the 7-08 brass in a 260 chamber, do you think I can go straight to reloading original 7-08 brass and using them as performance rounds in my 260; or would I need to essentially "fire form" the 7-08 brass first, trim to length, then treat the brass as if it were regular 260 brass?

I don't reload because my hands don't function the way they used to. I have relied on a trusted friend, who is an experienced reloader, to reload for me. This has worked for us to excellent effect the last 20 years. This is just not something either one of us has done and I'd like to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

The answer is yes. the 7/08 and the 260 Rem use the same head space gauge. With the 7/08 neck being larger than the 260 the neck to shoulder joint will be shorter, making the neck on the 7/08 longer.

The case OAL is the same.

I did the same thing and used the Lapua brass for one and Remington brass for the other so I could keep them separate.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.