Contour for 300wsm

dakotakidd

Wanting to do a light 300wsm. Remington short action (maybe a model 7) so I can use a manners eh8. Probably go adl. Question is what barrel contour? Something heavier than a factory Remington mountain rifle but not as heavy as a Remington mag sporter. I'm not great with contours as every company is a little different. I'm thinking ss 1-10 twist and maybe 22" will probably shoot 165 ab or a 178 eldx at the heaviest.

Let me know what you think or if it's way to light for a wsm.

I've read a mountain rifle contour on a 22" is .550" at the muzzle, which is about the same as a Featherweight or #1 contour from a number of manufacturers. A Remington Magnum Sporter is usually a #4 (Bartlein being a bit beefier than most on their contours). With those parameters, a #2 or #3 (or their weight equivalent) should be your best options. Check out Pac-Nor's barrel weight calculator for comparisons: http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi You're looking at 3.13 vs 3.28lbs for a #2 vs #3 22" .308" bore barrel.

I don't think you'd be too light, but I'd want a muzzle break. I built a .300 Win Mag for a buddy and set back the factory Magnum Sporter barrel after truing the action and installed a Shrewd brake that I contoured to the barrel. Despite it weighing 7lbs 11ozs without optic, it's a pleasure to shoot.

20181005_145916.jpg
20170813_185318-1.jpg
20170813_185324-1.jpg
20170820_101837.jpg

Buds gun shop is having a special on a Rem. 700 in 300 WSM.
May be a way to get a quick start, Since the action is already set up for the 300 WSM, No bolt face change, No widening of magazine lips, Magazine width and follower a fit for 300 WSM.
The advertisement says the barrel is 24 inches. With a new stock and trigger. Luck out and get a good shooting barrel, May suit your want. Or re-barrel to your exact specs.
Good Luck in this venture.

Buds gun shop is having a special on a Rem. 700 in 300 WSM.
May be a way to get a quick start, Since the action is already set up for the 300 WSM, No bolt face change, No widening of magazine lips, Magazine width and follower a fit for 300 WSM.
The advertisement says the barrel is 24 inches. With a new stock and trigger. Luck out and get a good shooting barrel, May suit your want. Or re-barrel to your exact specs.
Good Luck in this venture.
I have though going this route too. I've had pretty good luck with factory Remingtons. Put it in a manners or bansner sheep hunter and keep it like that for a while.

Last edited:
I have a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM and love it! It's super light weight and hardly kicks! I've used it for dall sheep, mtn goat, bighorns, muledeer, whitetails, antelope, black bear, etc. Never done me wrong yet! It's a dream for carrying around on steep, rough, remote terrain!

I have a proof on my 300 win mag. I like it, but they're expensive. I'd be fine with a light contour stainless barrel.
Unless your opinion of "light contour" is different from what I would consider a light contour, you will have to use a Chromoly barrel.

Unless your opinion of "light contour" is different from what I would consider a light contour, you will have to use a Chromoly barrel.
I would be fine with cm and cerrakote it. But can I not do a stainless in a light contour?? My Remington mountain rifle is a pretty light contour and that is stainless. Or am I missing something?

I think a light contour starts at about the dimensions of a Krieger #2. No barrel maker that I would want to buy from will make a 30 caliber #2 contour from Stainless Steel.

Hello Dakotakidd. In 2004 I went through the same need and want for a rifle, I was ready to retire and wanted a light walking hunt rifle. I was considering building a custom light 300 WSM. At that time Kimber came out with the 8400 Montana. They advertised the stock was designed by Melvin Forbes of NULA. In reviews, The gun writers griped about the rifles accuracy. I took a chance and bought a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Loaded some shells and went to the range. After a little brake in shooting and cleaning. My first 4 shot groups, 150 gr. shot 1 3/8" at 100 yds., 165gr shot 1 1/4". Then I shot 180 gr. Sierra .625" . It likes Sierra, Hornady and Nosler Partition 180 Gr. 1 elk, 1 whitetail, 2 caribou. Moose next I hope.
At the muzzle its 24" stainless steel barrel measures .560".
Good Luck in your new rifle adventure.

From everything I have read and compared my 8400 to the 84 rifle it is slightly thicker through the action. The story is they built the 8400 action around Winchester's WSM cartridge series and had to add metal and diameter to the action and wider magazine area. With a Fiberglass carbon stock, Stainless action and barrel, Mauser claw extractor, Sako adjustable firing pin, Winchester Model 70 3 position safety and the easy bolt disassembly for cleaning makes them a great bad weather rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts