Consistant Brass Weight?

huntxtrm

I have a bunch of .308 brass. I threw them in the sonic cleaner, sized them, trimmed them all the same, etc... Some is LC match, some is FA match, some is just LC, some is just FA, FC ect.... I started weighing the empty cases. They range from 177gn to 183gn. Should I sort these by weight, and not manufacture? Or, use them for general ammo, loaded light? I am loading these for my AR10. Or, should I scrap them, and start from scratch? How much is allowable? I know I have to load this mil brass lighter anyway, but what are the allowable limits on weight difference? I am not trying to drive tacs with these. But, I do want them to be decently accurate.

I would try sorting by manufacturer and then see if the weight spread tightens up.

If you're not too concerned with groups and longer range performance, (velocity), then you should be fine to load them.

Sort by make and don't worry about weighing them, weight sorting is almost a complete waste unless you have some just horrible brass!!

Sort by make and don't worry about weighing them, weight sorting is almost a complete waste unless you have some just horrible brass!!

Bigngreen... interested in your experience with weight sorting vs not weight sorting brass. Do you typically not need to? I can notice significant muzzle velocity variation across a 5-6 grain weight difference in brass with both my 300 win mag and my 338 RUM. Shooting Nosler brass, each batch is sorted to be within 1 grain, and when I switch to a new batch I have to chrono to get a new MV. never changes point of impact... But 2 rifles is a small sample size, and you have a lot more experience shooting accurately at long range than I do... so any feedback on this would be very helpful to the rest of us!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.