Brass weight to load weight correlation?

If I remember correctly I was shooting a 22-250 with win brass and had a good load worked up that was 3940fps or thereabouts when I got the idea to swap over to norma brass. Norma was about 6-8gr heavier, I loaded the same load and velocity fell about 80-90fps on average and worse yet accuracy suffered more than I could accept, group size doubled( now it was shooting small groups so even doubled it was shooting pretty good, but why take pretty good over what I already had?) . Looked like a total rework of the load both in powder charge and probably distance to lands as well. This was not acceptable when I had spent the better part of a month getting that load to where I wanted it. Waste of barrel life and components to get back to where I was. Another factor was Winchester brass took a lot of weight sorting (it was quite a spread) but the norma was no better. Neither was anything like lapua tends to be. So sold the norma brass and stuck with Winchester which if nothing else was working as loaded and cheap to buy. Been with it ever since, guess that didn't give the OP a formula to make his swap but sure told me it wouldn't always stay the same with a brass swap either. Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.