Confused with working up a load

bstomper

I've been working up a load and have come to a issue and I hope some one can help me out.
Model 70 Winchester 7mm rem mag
Pilar and action bedded.
Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40
Hornady ELDX 162gn and H1000 powder. Federal 215 match primers
Winchester case. Full length resizing on the cases.
Here's the issue. Last year I loaded up some eld match bullets and have them shooting just Over .5" at 100 yards (67gn h1000, eld match, federal case, cci primers,coal 3.320"). I went with the hornady manual specs with these loads of a max of 68.5gn. I started my loads at 64gns and went up .5gn increments till I found a good node. Then did a seating depth test to tighten up my groups to just over .5". I'm was happy with that but I am changing to the X for hunting.
Over the last while I have been trying to work up a load with h1000, eldx, Winchester case, federal 215m primers and using the hogdon sight specs with a max charge of 70gns. I used Dan Newberry's OCW system for this work up. I did my first few powder charges as sighter bullets and had to dial down 5 moa to hit the center of the target, from where the match bullets were hitting. Found a node or trend at 69.4gn @ 3.370 coal (max length that would fit my magazine)with no pressure signs. I loaded more up at 69.4 and decreased the coal by .010" at a time to try and bring my groups together. I had a stiff bolt lift on the first shot of 3.350" so I stopped there but my best group is only just under an inch. Obviously I want better groups so where do I go from here. Should I drop some powder but stay in my node and continue to do seating depth testing. Could the case and primers make the difference.
By going with the hogdon site info and dan Newberry's method I started with a much higher starting charge weight than I did last time where I found my OCW node at 67gns. Should I go back to the way I worked up the match bullets to maybe find a lower charge node.

Yeah I'm sure I have. I live in an area far away from where I can get reloading stuff so when I go to the city I pick up a couple jugs each time so it's highly unlikely they are from the sale lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.