Confused on powder load

trailboy

I am reloading 9MM, and have the Lyman and Lee reloading manuals for reference

powder unique Lee says 5.5. to 6.3 max
Lyman says 4.4 to 5.5 max

using a Hornday 115gn XTR bullet

Which one is correct? Where do I start?

I have on reloaded some 308's from a recipe a friend gave me.

Thanks

Tim

If it were me, I'd be conservative and start with the lowest of the two and go with 4.4. What does Hodgon say? Maybe good to get a 3rd reference.

I am reloading 9MM, and have the Lyman and Lee reloading manuals for reference

Thanks

Tim

trailboy,
Welcome to LongRange Hunting. While the 9mm Luger is not really considered a Long Range cartridge, I will still help you out. All the reloading books are going to vary a bit. The data they're putting in their book is their test results for that cartridge. They all use different facilities, pistols (or test barrels), cases, primers, etc., so the data will differ a little.
You just have to decide who you want to trust/follow. Unique is an Alliant powder so best to check their website next time. (Alliant Powder - Home). They list 6.3gn as max. My Nosler says 5.1 - 6.1gn, Lee says 5.8 - 6.1gn.
Probably best to not go past 6.3gn. Good rule of thumb; drop down 10% from max load (6.3 - .63 = 5.67gn) and start working up from there.
Happy shooting! JohnnyK.

I doubt the 4.4 grn charge will cycle reliably with Unique. Cross reference from several sources then load 10 or so for testing. Once the loads are tested you can load up a supply.

Unique should be fine, I normally use a faster powder with a 115 grn bullet in the 9mm.

Thanks for everyone's help, the powder is just left over from plinking with a .308 using lead bullets with out gas checks. I will do as suggested, start low load a few and work up from there and after all used up, try a faster burning powder.

IF you could kill a deer at 90 yrs with a 9MM, would that count as long range, at least with that cartridge? LOL

I do have question on .243 vs 6MM reloading?

Thanks again.

Thanks for everyone's help, the powder is just left over from plinking with a .308 using lead bullets with out gas checks. I will do as suggested, start low load a few and work up from there and after all used up, try a faster burning powder.

IF you could kill a deer at 90 yrs with a 9MM, would that count as long range, at least with that cartridge? LOL

Thanks again.
I need glasses either way.

In general, never do that. Always do your research and develop your own loads. Even if you arrive in the same spot, there is value in learning/practicing the process.

Everybody uses different bullets and oal's. Both are likely pressure tested and safe, but only exactly as written and in their pressure test setup.

in 9mm, start low and work up until recoil and primer swipes are similar to factory ammo. That is max. Then work from 10% below max to max looking for best accuracy. Something will be the best. Then load 1000's and have fun!

Look at what brass and primer is used also in your manuals, it can make a difference in 9mm up to maybe even a half a grain. Specific bullets are also important, the length of the bearing surface has a large impact on pressures. In general around 5.8-6 grains will approximate your defensive ammo, 5.2 or 5.3 will approximate your 115 ball bulk ammo, again depending on bullet, brass and primer selected. Unique is a great 9mm powder for all around use, it really shines with lead bullets. There are much better powders for specific uses with jacketed bullets, but all around Unique works very well.

As my first reference I use the bullet manufacturer's data. This accounts for bullet specific's such as bearing surface and jacket composition.
Then I cross reference the powder manufacturer's data.
Thirdly I check any other manuals I have on hand. Be cautious of using very old manuals because the powder or bullet characteristic's may have changed since they were published.
I always take note of the brass, primer, and barrel length cited in the load data to possibly account for differences is min/max loads and velocities published.
Since 9mm headspaces off the case mouth be cautious of how much taper crimp you apply after bullet seating.

Just chipping in here... if and when you burn up your Unique, consider giving True Blue a try. I kid you not, that stuff meters on a powder drop as well as my fx-120i can measure out individually.

Thanks again.
What would that be?