Confused and dazed? T/C Compass

huntintoo

Need a little help here? Maybe mentally!!! A few years ago I accurised a buddies Tikka T3 in .300 WSM. I went to glass bed the Laminated stock he bought for it and found the gun had a floating Lug between the Barrell and the stock? My first thought was how can this be more accurate? In my opinion it's just asking for more movement between the action and the stock? I wasn't sure what to do? I wasn't even sure the lug was in the groove in the action and the stock at the same time? So I put JB weld on the action and glued the lug to the action. After it dried glass bedded the action to the stock as I have done to many others.
This last year I had the chance to buy a Thompson Center Compass .308 for a very good price, Thought the grandkids could use it for hunting this year? I have liked T/C though never owning one. But this rifle has the same problem as the Tikka T3. "Floating Barrel Lug"? WHAT THE HECK?
Is this a trend?
And is there a way to combat this?
I'm ready to WELD the floating lug in place on the action?
I don't like it but don't want to throw away a new gun either?
Suggestions please!!!???

Great question....sub'd for updates. Haven't messed with bedding these rifles yet but if there is a better way....

I have a Compass in 7-08 and 308 and both of them are ridiculously accurate out of the box. You simply can't beat these rifles when they were at/under $200 new. The .308 stacks the 150 SSTs in factory Hornady Custom loads. I've been trying to replicate that accuracy with my own reloading and while I'm close, I can't match the factory ammo yet. (looks like they use 44.4 grains of 4064 or something very similar and seat them deep) Off topic but if you haven't tried it yet in yours, it's worth a shot.

Stacked 3 on top of each other 4 different times with factory Barnes VOR-TX 168 grn. TTXS'.
I Just liked the pretty new Boyds Thumbhole Stock and don't know how to make it seated well in the Glass bedding?

I have the same issue. And as for your question yes it is a trend in lower end (price) rifles Savage AXIS for instance. I have a 30-06 compass which is very accurate. I will let everyone know one issue with mine. This rifle rust faster than any gun I have ever owned.(over 200) rifles. I'm going to clean mine up AGAIN and cerakote it. When I say rust fast I'm talking get dew on it and it will start rusting during an afternoon sit. I really don't know how to deal with the lug. I've got an AXIS I'm gonna machine the front of the receiver off and install a barrel mounted lug on. However with the SAVAGE it will be much easier to set the headspace because of the nut system.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.