Concentricity/Neck Turning/Culling Cases:

Russ, I have read and seen about everything in the precision reloading realm. let me explain my philosophy of all of this. your work begins when you have once fired cases. nothing is the same in each case once they are fired once. I have seen it way too many times before. my practical knowledge comes from the late 1980's and the early 1990's. I will start with 1986: at that time I was just 16 and loved long range shooting. I went to the not so local range where I shot 22LR comps. I would get done with my comps and wander over to the "big boys" side and watch the 600 to 1,000 yard guys.. also the bench rest guys. I started asking more questions than I got answers. one summer day when I was 17 I spied an old genteel man in a white straw hat sitting down to start setting up, I helped as he seemed to be too weak to heave his gun up on the bench. he was grateful. Kenny and I became instant friends. He even lived on the other side of the small town I resided in. Ken was a benchrest fanatic. his practice range was his back yard. he showed me how he prepped brass. his brother another man I knew very well, neighbor, was a long range shooter. both had their special way of prepping brass. I learned from both. It seems that even RCBS has dropped some of the tools that I use for long range and precision brass prepping. I am not going to get into neck reaming versus neck turning. they both do about the same thing and one does it better than the other in my 33 years of precision and long range precision shooting. to directly answer one of your questions. no matter what brass you have.. either neck turn each piece or neck ream each piece. it is the only way to uniform you brass necks for precision shooting. as an example my 17 Rem would never shoot under 1.5" with any load I tried. after doing everything else I ordered a neck reaming die. I reamed all 600 pieces of brass and used the same exact 24.6 grains of powder that got me 1.5" groups and came away with 0.298" groups at 100 yards. mind you I am not an C to C guy I am a edge to edge guy. my groups at 200 yards were 0.502" I think enough said about the importance of uniform/concentric necks.
so now you understand my insistence about prep of your brass. one little operation made such an improvement that I was hooked on neck reaming my cases. while in Gunsmithing school I was curious what neck turning would do. I am so sorry I ever neck turned my 270 Win cases to see what that would do. Some people can do it. I can not. I ruined too many Lapua and Norma cases that were my prized hunting cases. I have none left but I am going to buy more one day.
so saying all that. before you sort cases, before you even start prepping cases, shoot them once in your gun and then start really prepping the cases. a once fired case acts so much differently than a virgin case. I can not even list the ways they change from virgin to once fired. just remember your brass stretches the most on it's first firing so trim after firing it for the first time.
what I do and did for long range precision shooting is this:
this is after sizing my brass to -0.002" below my chamber (if you do not know how to gauge your chamber let me know I will tell you how)
cut to a uniform length (this does not mean "trim to" length this means pick a length and trim to that. I use max length of case; for some reason I settled on that and use it to this day.
next, I made a tool to uniform and center my flash holes, I am a gunsmith and I was a pretty good machinist in my early 20's. this means my flash holes are 0.005" bigger than the largest production case. I find this non-detrimental to your primers unless you are doing BR, the cases demand BR primers so use them.
I neck ream when I can get the ream and die combo. this makes most every piece of brass you want to use very uniform enough for at least practice.
next I water volume each case. but there are some that just weigh the case.. I used to do both just to be sure. I still weigh and water volume the cases.
use a sliding head seating die.. RCBS makes them, Redding makes them, Hornady makes them and I think one other maker has them but I can not remember whom that is. I depend on Redding match and Hornady. side note; my 17 rem dies are Hornady that I bought on a whim 28 years ago. 13 years before I needed them.
the last thing I do is I never crimp my rifle brass.
I have used the consentricity gauges for my ammo. they got me maybe 2" at 1,000 yards. it kept me ****ing off the older guys that had been doing it for a long time. so use them, they do help.
as for the mouth thickness and consentricity.. you should know where I stand by now.
recently I have begun to uniform the depth of my primer pockets and it seems to make better hunting ammo for my friends. I have started doing this to my own hunting ammo 270WSM and others.
After prepping your brass and uniforming it, then segregate by weight. find the biggest weight group and use that for your match or hunting load development. weight groups can have a slim or wide weight bracket, you sent that for yourself. Some of my old 1,000 yard and BR friends, and I made lots, will only use a bracket of 0.1 grain. example.. 98.0 to 98.1 grain cases. the heavier the case the less the volume of the case or in some instances, a bubble or weak spot in the case.
Now given all this information and I know there are lots of critics of what I have said; I just do not care what people say about my methods. they darn near got me a world's record back in 1994. The key axiom of precision shooting is this, "uniformity wins matches; hap-hazard DQ's in quals." the more uniform your cases are after you prep them the better your groups will be. that is the bottom line. Use what I have told you and feel free to use one thing and not another. it is all up to you how much work you want to put into this endeavor of precision reloading and shooting.
in order of how much accuracy is gained by each procedure;
neck uniformity is king #1 in my book. the best thing you can do for your ammo
Uniform weight of the case and uniform volume
uniform flash holes
concentricity of ammo.

later suckers.. I have to get back to work.. a sick 1911 with feeding issues and a old S&W K-frame needs some slicking up and tuning.

In my experience, my opinion is to full length resize all of it, load it all up (or at least ten rounds) with a mild load and shoot it bearing in mind the following details:

The key to fully and uniformly fireforming brass is that the bullets need to be loaded just touching the lands of the barrel to fix the round in the chamber. This eliminates slop with resultant uneven fireforming. However, loading to the lands increases pressure so you must first go to the range and determine a safe load in the usual way with bullets loaded touching the lands. Please note, all published max and near max loads will virtually always be an over pressure, dangerous type load if the bullets are loaded to the lands.

After that neck size the brass without an expander button, trim to length, uniform primer pockets and clean up primer pocket holes. After that you can cull based upon weight, concentrically and variation in neck thickness as you wish.

After that, you can turn the necks if you like. For a factory hunting rifle, I suggest that you set the blade by trial and error so that only about two thirds of the neck is actually cut. Too thin necks cause other problems, especially with a factory rifle.

By that time you can be sure the brass is as good as it can be and the only other variables, which of course are huge, are the rifle itself and your ability to develop a good load with dies and equipment that produce reasonably uniform and concentric rounds.

I

My .02 is that case concentricity only counts on fire formed cases and then those cases reloaded. A good full length sizing die should get them concentric, but if not don't sweat it until it's been fire formed. If it's concentric coming out of your chamber you're good unless your neck sizing and bullet seating knocks it out of alignment. That will have to be addressed with a different sizing / seating method.
As others have stated, you can neck turn to even out neck wall thickness. I turn everything I want to be accurate but have seen some pretty good groups from cases that are just cleaned up and sized with an expander ball and full length dies.
I wouldn't cull anything until it's been cleaned up, fire formed and then trimmed or at least double checked for trim length. As stated too, see how they group. Some guns can be very tolerant of whacky ammo. I had a #1 that would shoot factory Hornady rounds into sub 1/2" even though most of that ammo had >.006 bullet runout.
Coyoter

just load them and shoot. anything out to 300 yards.
you are WAY overthinking this whole mess.

Good God

when you start shooting a mile, maybe

Sedan—the Berger Ammo is all .300 Win Mag. No .300 RUM Berger loaded Ammo available—at least yet. You are correct that Lapua does not make either case. I would guess it is all Norma.

If the Remington brass doesn't work well, even with culling, I may just buy a few hundred solids to use against the rusted-out 1950s Chevrolets loaded with freshly-emerged zombies as they speed toward the northern stockade of my house! :)
Sounds like you are on the right track. The Rem cases are good to learn on for turning as you will screw up some. I thing FL sizing the cases then checking for run-out is a reasonable and will find the real outliers. A cursory check of your loaded rounds will alert you to any seating anomalies.

There are tons of good neck turning videos out there that cover a lot of the little mistakes you can make. A couple of common errors are not trimming the cases to uniformed length and forgetting to run the cutter up on the shoulder slightly. I hope you have a power turner ;-).

On your neck turning size question, at a minimum you need to turn them to the minimum thickness they start out at to clean up most of the neck. So if your tube micro says 0.013 is the thinnest then 0.013 is you min number to go for. On the those Rem cases I would bet you see raw thicknesses of 13-14.5 maybe even 12.5. Through trial and error I've found once you get down below 0.012 the neck integrity can get iffy. I've seen shot cases ejected with the necks toasted off of them that my father turned to 0.011 in his 22BR. The nice thing about having turned necks is you can easily calculate which bushing you need to get the number of thous of pressure you want on you neck tension.

If you've never loaded Berger VLDs before try them very close to the lands and then 80-100 thou off first. They have never failed to shoot for me in one of those 2 positions.

I started getting a headache just minutes into reading this. Time=Money. Id bought all those case preparation tools tool. Then after putting myself through the arduous task I finally said, Hell no! I bought some Nosler brass. NONE of the 50 cases got to .005" out of round. The neck thickness was uniform. I've bought now 5000 cases (.308 Win/300Winmag. I spot ckecked 10 cases out of EVERY box of 50 cases. NONE were +.005"! Actually... they hovered right at.002-3". Problem solved
Good luck.

Last edited:
Holy cow! Seeing all the different opinions on this reminds me of discussions about the superpowers of the 6.5 Creedmore. Now I'm sort of wishing I never bothered to render an opinion.

After considering everything others have said, I have come to the conclusion that choosing cases and turning necks is a lot like sex in the dark. It doesn't really matter what your partner looks like or how you get the job done. When the shot goes off, and the job is done, it's all awesome. Just close the door and git er done!

Last edited:
I started getting a headache just minutes into reading this. Time=Money. Id bought all those case preparation tools tool. Then after putting myself through the arduous task I finally said, Hell no! I bought some Nosler brass. NONE of the 50 cases got to .005" out of round. The neck thickness was uniform. I've bought now 5000 cases (.308 Win/300Winmag. I spot ckecked 10 cases out of EVERY box of 50 cases. NONE were +.005"! Actually... they hovered right at.002-3". Problem solved
Good luck.

i gotta agree with this, i had been using hornady brass with redding dies. bought all my 7 rem brass as nosler and whidden dies. life became easier. good brass,,, good dies, it's like you don't have to worry too much about anything else.

I'd add one more step to my recommendations...

Since you have the tools, I'd check concentricity on the Berger ammo, as well as the ammo you make to test. No harm in getting a baseline. Perhaps even sort by concentricity, and shoot groups with batches of increasing concentricity. If you get the same results with 0.001" runout as 0.004" runout, then you know it's not a factor for your rifles/skill level.

+1. Get a baseline of the factory ammo and measure yours. Tossing greater than .001 seems a bit extreme to me unless it is data driven.

lol 4 grains...must be a large target hunter( nothing wrong with that)
i use 1/2 spread...plus or minus 0.25 gr
i use 0.1 for serious target rifles
read my sig line
WOW you must be the best 2000 yard shooter around.
Care to post your results from your last 2000 yard shoot?...

Since it appears to me you are truly serious about these issues, I hope you don,t mind My two cents worth.
1. No mentionis made of the chamber neck diameter in these rifles. Ideally for precise longrange work, you measure the true diameter of the bullet (.0000), then the neck diameter of your chamber (this is stamped on the barrel by your precision gunsmith) the subtraction between the two meas

****, hit the wrong button,
So, chamber neck diameter minus bullets' true dimension gives you the proper neck thickness, minus
.002 for safety. This figure is split in half (for each side of the neck). Thus a .308 bullet, with a case turned to .010 would measure .328 externally and the chamber neck size would be .330.
If you don't know your chambers' neck diameter, take a fired case with consistent neck thickness and measure the fired necks' diameter. With the springiness of brass needed for extraction, that fired neck diameter, plus.002 is your true chamber neck diameter.
As to turning necks: brass is now better than it used to be, in terms of neck thickness, but the "gold standard" for neck turning consistency is the orange "pumpkin" neck turner!
I have been fortunate to have set some worlds' records and know several people who have set a bunch more. The one big "secret" which was very closely held for years was switching the dial on the concentricity gauge from .000 to .0000. Then you got true concentricity which could be seen on a target at 1,000 yards!
WW

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.