Componants are finally all here!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Many of you probably remember be spouting about a 338 Allen Magnum that I have been designing and planning to build. Basically it is very similiar to what BD408 has designed with his 338 Sniper Tac but just different enough to have its own identity. Performance wise they are on the same page.

My 338 Allen Mag test rifle was designed for nothing but pure extreme range shooting. As such, the predicted final weight of the rifle will be 55 to 60 lbs. I have labeled this project with the nickname "Black Sunshine" as I am planning on coating the entire rifle Black when finished to match the stock.

The heart of this project is the final componant that needed to arrive in shop, the BAT 10", 2" diameter receiver. Here it is show next to a Rem 700 LA receiver for size comparision. Weighing in at 6 1/4 lbs, it is not an ultralight receiver by any means.

372683.jpg

372686.jpg

The barrel on this rifle is a Lilja 1.750" straight cylinder with a 40" finish length in 338 bore with a 1-10" twist. After talking with BD408 I was a bit concerned about using this twist at the velocity potential I will have with this barrel length but I do feel better know because the Wildcat bullets will be built with a tapered jacket that is much heavier in the bullet body then the SMK so it should easily handle this twist rate. We will see.

The stock I decided to use is a McMillan 50LBR stock weighted to 23 lbs in 75% Black and 25% Red color scheme. Give her a little bit of a mean look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

372687.jpg

So basically now I have all the componants to build the first 338 AM test rifle and see if it will hit the performance goals we have set for it. We are looking to break 3400 fps pretty handily with the 300 gr ULD RBBT and push 3200 fps with the huge 350 gr ULD RBBT.

I was a bit concerned about the receiver handling this huge barrel but I was assured the big BAT receiver would do it. I will still bed the first 10" of barrel to insure there is not flexing and go from there after testing the rifle.

More to come hopefully soon but customers rifles are first in line at the moment to be worked on. For now I just sit and look at the parts!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ahhhhhh! Please get that thing up and running very soon! I can't wait to see what that baby will do!

Kirby...nice!! Just found out what I'm getting back from the 2005 taxes...hope you'll have time to build my 7mm WSM XP-100 before September!!

Kirby,
Are you planning on any kind of a barrel block with a 40" tube, is just bedding enough with a WHOPPER size barrel ???
I'm just asking because I know you make such devises and am wondering why not use them on a behemoth rig such as this.
sounds like fun I'm very interested keep us posted.
UB

Uncle B,

Personally, yes I thought it would need to be blocked but Bruce at BAT tells me it will handle that barrel. So did Dan Lilja so we will see.

If I have issues, the barreled receiver will be pulled and the stock milled for a barrel bedding V-Block. No harm done in testing. I think with a 10 to 12" steel bed bad under the barrel it will be solid enough but again, I was initially concerned about this and will find out when bullets get in the air!!

With my Barrel bedding V-Block system, it will be very easy to convert the rifle over to this if needed with no external changes at all.

Also ordered in a set of Ivey adjustable base/ring sets. Will give me 150 moa on top of the 40 moa that the base offers. 2 mile range will not be an issue. 2 mile accuracy, that is yet to be seen!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I cant imagine what a 10" pad of bedding will do when that fat arse tube starts to heat up...

If Dan and Bruce said it was GTG, why not just float that thing?

what are the threads? 1.375? by 2" long?

JB

Kirby:

I ordered a Rock bbl to be Carbon wrapped for a customers SnipeTac, Mike recomended 9.2 twist, Customers have been giving very good reports on accuracy. .200 groups at 200yds.(338-408)Dave Kiff made one up. I experimented with the 11.25 twist in mine, havent tested it enough to even get the bbl broke in.(results were good) Like you, customers come first.

I like the 2" BAT action! I have 7 feet of 2 3/8" dia stainless in my shop, some day im gonna make a BigBertha action, just dont know who i am going to get to carry the rifle around. I bought the stuff to make 50 cal actions.

Somtime i need to stop by and see ya! If i ever get that way.

Dave

BD408,

Give me a little time so that we can take those two big 338s out and stretch things out a couple miles together.

Sending 350 gr out to 2 miles will be impressive, sending 700 gr out to 2 miles would be awsome!!!

I am still thinking about that 50 cal version on the 408 case. Throated so the 750 gr is seated right to the base of the neck. Just a new barrel and reamer is all it will take so I may have to do that this summer and just see what happens. I bet it will get alot closer to the BMG then lost people think.

Nice thing is that it would be right at home in a 30" pipe. Imagine the stiffness of a 1.750" straight cylinder 30" barrel!!!

To many projects, to little time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.