Colorado- Palmer outfitters (palmer brothers)

69firebird

I had a bad experience with these guys in 2009. I was just reminded of it again with the last Colorado OTC post so i figured Id could vent some.

A friend bought an non guided archery hunt at an NWTF auction from these guys. We had been told we were going to be in a spike camp.

I never spoke with the Palmers before I arrived, My friend did all the planning. For 2 weeks before we left to go to Colorado, Brian Palmer would not answer his phone or return calls. Warning sign!

But we had paid for everything else so we headed out, tried calling again several times enroute. We got into Moffat CO and asked around town where Brians place was and no-one could help, the GPS got us close enough and we found it.

We explained to Brian we couldn't get him on the phone and he said he was having phone problems (they whole time we were at his place he was on his phone taking calls and texting). He then told us he didn't think we were still coming!!!

There was another group of hunters there aswell waiting to check in. They were talking about a tent camp and Brian was guiding them.

We started to check in and were told that we had been moved to a cabin in the valley and there were lots of elk there and good chance we would shoot one. (Upsell! What happened to the spike camp? Did those other guys get it?, Did we get dumped off cause this was a donated hunt from Brian?)

He also told us he couldn't give us any information to help us out because it was a non guided hunt.

We didn't see him all week, we heard 1 bugle and got in close in some elk in the dark. Otherwise no luck. The cabin was amongst a few other residences on a fairly travelled road.

Company, scenery, and fishing was good.

On the drive out of camp we met Brian on the road. Who then informed us where we should have been looking for elk and that he's only got a 10% success with archery.

I was a young man and this was my first trip outside my province hunting and first time dealing with an outfitter. I should have been asking a lot of questions when I arrived at Brians but didn't know any better and kept my mouth shut.

My wife and I hunted with Brian in 2015 and needless to say it was a complete **** show. He was not very responsive before we headed up to Colorado, should of been a warning sign for us. Brian stuck us with a local kid to guide us who on the second day I found passed out under a tree 75 yards up the maintain from us due to a late night of Partying for him. My wife and I walked back to his truck and called Brian about the situation. The kid dropped us off at a spike camp on the mountain where we sat and waited on Brian to arrive from town for 2 hours. This is just a very small fraction of what went on during this trip. After driving over 700 miles and the amount of money spent I would not recommend him for anything that has to do with hunting. I am very shocked at the fact he is still in business actually.

It is an absolute and inescapable fact of elk hunting you have to research your outfitter every bit as thoroughly IF NOT MORE THAN the unit you plan on hunting in.

After 23 years, I was forced to change jobs 7 years ago. I am truly thankful my new job actually pays better than my old, except I get only a fraction of the time off I was once so use to. After five successful DIY 100% self guided elk hunts, I have to face the very real fact I will likely have to now seriously consider hiring an outfitter because I simply will not be able to get the time off needed IMHO to at least give me a realistic chance at being successful.

All of my past elk hunts I would arrive in the previously exhaustively researched unit at the very least a full seven (preferably 10) days prior to opening day and spend early every waking hour trying to find quality bulls. If all other factors about a elk unit are equal in terms of animal numbers and quality, TIME above all other factors IMHO is as if not more important than any other factor to the success of your hunt.

So when I finally get drawn in UT and AZ, I will likely be researching guides actually harder than I did the unit I applied for.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.