Colorado OTC bear tag

Colorado has plenty of bears, and some areas more than others. 1st season is still a good time to find them, and if you actually get out and not road hunt, you have a very good chance of finding one. It doesnt take a bear long to find a elk gut pile ;)
Good to hear. Yes, I'll be in 2-4 miles depending on sign and pressure. Trying to get past the crowds as much as possible without getting into the next.

We've killed a few bears so when we are deer hunting, we're just deer hunting. Same for elk. If you haven't killed one, its a cheap tag to add to an already expensive trip. I'd buy one if I didn't have some already. Hides will be really premium that time of year.

We've killed a few bears so when we are deer hunting, we're just deer hunting. Same for elk. If you haven't killed one, its a cheap tag to add to an already expensive trip. I'd buy one if I didn't have some already. Hides will be really premium that time of year.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Cheap tag to add on for the opportunity.

I purchased one every year I went out to hunt elk with a rifle. I seen 2 while packing out a bull. Decided not to harvest due to packing bull out.

We hunt the second rifle season and the bear tags used to be hard to get. Way easier and cheap means I will buy em. We've seen em out of season but haven't had luck killing any, but would hate for the opportunity to pass me by. The only bad part is when you kill one you can't hunt elk/deer until the biologist inspects your bear.

Bring a call with, if you run diaphragms for elk, guess what, you don't even need to bring another call, you can use it.

Fawn in distress and/or rabbit in distress. And for that matter you should be able to use an open reed elk call, likely even a closed reed style to do a distress call too.

Good to have if you need the bear to stop, or, if you need it to show itself, or perhaps come in closer, as the opportunity may not stand there and pose out in the wide open.

"We hunt the second rifle season and the bear tags used to be hard to get. Way easier and cheap means I will buy em. We've seen em out of season but haven't had luck killing any, but would hate for the opportunity to pass me by. The only bad part is when you kill one you can't hunt elk/deer until the biologist inspects your bear."

Why can't you hunt Elk/Deer until your bear is sealed? Never heard of this or dealt with it

I'm thinking of picking up a bear tag during the elk 1st rifle season in area 12/24-26. I know it's not the best time and also will be crowds. Just don't want to see one and not have the tag. Anyone else ever picked up the OTC bear tag to have while Elk hunting?
Great idea , good luck on hunt! , save a few elk for the rest of us!

Last edited:
"We hunt the second rifle season and the bear tags used to be hard to get. Way easier and cheap means I will buy em. We've seen em out of season but haven't had luck killing any, but would hate for the opportunity to pass me by. The only bad part is when you kill one you can't hunt elk/deer until the biologist inspects your bear."

Why can't you hunt Elk/Deer until your bear is sealed? Never heard of this or dealt with it
I read that if you harvest a bear, it needs to be brought to the CO within 5 days. That could mess up the elk hunt. I thinking it's a gamble and I'll get the bear tag to try and fill if there is time or a good opportunity.