Colorado Draw Posted

I put in the same app as a handful of co residents and I got drawn over them with less pref points, I did think that was odd. I have noticed that down here in south fl the turkey quotas are going more to non residents than locals lately. Total guess here but I'd assume they do it to bring more money to the state by bringing in travelers, not to mention the hefty non resident fee. I will admit it is very aggravating. If it's any consolation, I'd be happy to help any co residents bag an Osceola to make up for my stepping on your elk boots.

I put in the same app as a handful of co residents and I got drawn over them with less pref points, I did think that was odd. I have noticed that down here in south fl the turkey quotas are going more to non residents than locals lately. Total guess here but I'd assume they do it to bring more money to the state by bringing in travelers, not to mention the hefty non resident fee. I will admit it is very aggravating. If it's any consolation, I'd be happy to help any co residents bag an Osceola to make up for my stepping on your elk boots.
I too think that is the case about license fee's. I don't mind out of state hunter's most of the time, most are good people looking to do something they can't do at home. The ones that bother me are the people that are not respectful of residents and there property, our state and the laws. Most people don't get 1/4-1/2 mile off the road so they make no nevermind to me. So with that said good luck to all of you who are coming to hunt this beautiful state, be safe, shoot strait and have a good time.

I didn't draw anything :(

I'm getting tired of how difficult CO is to hunt. Maybe I'll just start applying out of state to UT and WY.

i didnt even draw a general season archery deer (utah).... how in the hell does that happen ??? , utah isnt the place to go either , im thinking wyoming at least their nonresident tags arent an arm and a leg , cheaper than CO.

I put in for elk pref points and got it but have not received my refund check yet....how long does it take to get your money back??

I live in Oklahoma and I've been wanting to hunt elk for a long time now. I plan on going next year, where would you guys recommend I start? I'll probably get an OTC Tag. I don't know how to apply for points and all that stuff. Any input is greatly appreciated!:D

I live in Oklahoma and I've been wanting to hunt elk for a long time now. I plan on going next year, where would you guys recommend I start? I'll probably get an OTC Tag. I don't know how to apply for points and all that stuff. Any input is greatly appreciated!:D

First off consider your Phisical condition. This will determine the areas that you will have to hunt and not kill yourself. Be honest and you will have a better time. High elavation, thin air, and rapid weather changes are no joke.
There is a lot of info on the states website, statistics of particular areas success rates and the likes.
Try to find a local on here that's willing to help you out the first time or two. If you have a place to hunt around you that you can trade might help.
If you have any particular questions just ask and I will try and help the best I can.

I got a preference point and an opportunity to participate in the left-over draw.

Life's good! Now all i need to do is decide which unit is best in 4th season..... by then i believe most herds are well-situated on private ranches. Heck, by 2nd and 3rd seasons!!

I got a preference point and an opportunity to participate in the left-over draw.

Life's good! Now all i need to do is decide which unit is best in 4th season..... by then i believe most herds are well-situated on private ranches. Heck, by 2nd and 3rd seasons!!
There is lots of public land in the lower elavation wintering areas. Some elk stay there year around and don't go to the high country in the summer.

There is lots of public land in the lower elavation wintering areas. Some elk stay there year around and don't go to the high country in the summer.

THanks!!!

I've hunted GMU54 the last couple years, but the herds seem to make it onto the ranches by the end of 1st rifle so i don't think i'll hunt there..... which stinks 'cause i really enjoy the area.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I live in the Springs area so most places are reasonable to get to. My freezer has a bit of an echo when i open it up - i need to get that squared away ASAP!

THanks!!!

I've hunted GMU54 the last couple years, but the herds seem to make it onto the ranches by the end of 1st rifle so i don't think i'll hunt there..... which stinks 'cause i really enjoy the area.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I live in the Springs area so most places are reasonable to get to. My freezer has a bit of an echo when i open it up - i need to get that squared away ASAP!
I take it you mean colorado springs? I'm not familiar with any of that area. Usually in my area during 2nd and most if not all of 3rd season the elk are still high for the most part unless we get a good storm like last year and 4th is when they start moving down. In my area the there is a lot of smaller sections of blm that are not well known to people. These are the areas I target for late season hunts. Good luck

I drew 1st rifle bull tag for 11 and all the units that go along with that tag, the Flat Tops Wilerness area. I'm happy I drew but on the other hand, I hear these units get hammered. I moved to CO last year so just put in for hunts based on draw success, hunter success etc. I'll do my best to avoid the masses but sounds like that's a tall order for that area. Who has hinted the area? Does It get pressure way off the roads too or like most other units, the pressure fades as you get further away? It will be a great time and learning experience either way. I can't wait for the first scouting trip!

I take it you mean colorado springs? I'm not familiar with any of that area. Usually in my area during 2nd and most if not all of 3rd season the elk are still high for the most part unless we get a good storm like last year and 4th is when they start moving down. In my area the there is a lot of smaller sections of blm that are not well known to people. These are the areas I target for late season hunts. Good luck

I live here in colo sprngs, but hunt mostly north of Gunnison (GMU 54). i think 54 used to be a great unit, but of late (last 3 yrs or so), the herds transition to the ranches. Certainly by 2nd rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts