Colorado Draw Posted

I'm not getting any draw results yet either although someone told me yesterday that they found out they had drawn thru the backdoor method.

Seems to be working now, must be my lucky year. I drew 67 1st rifle if anyone happens to have any 1st hand knowledge of that hunt I wouldn't be against listening to it. Good luck Everyone!

Last edited:
I drew a first rifle tag. One out of five isn't great but better than last year when I didn't draw anything. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

I didn't draw anything :(

I'm getting tired of how difficult CO is to hunt. Maybe I'll just start applying out of state to UT and WY.

I didn't draw anything :(

I'm getting tired of how difficult CO is to hunt. Maybe I'll just start applying out of state to UT and WY.

It's definitely been getting harder and harder to draw. I think the dow's point system is screwed up. I have been considering applying for New Mexico and Utah. It seems like the out of state hunter's are getting more and more tags and residents less. Good luck next year Rex.

If you look at the hunting statistics the dow puts out, the out of state percentages are what they claim to be. What seems to going on is they are giving away less elk tags in whole. My buddy gets the opportunity to hunt on a big private ranch in December and has drawn every year for like 10 years. This year he or his youth daughter didn't draw. They cut the license quota from 60 to 25. The elk numbers are as high as ever in that part of the unit. Doesn't make sense to me.

If you look at the hunting statistics the dow puts out, the out of state percentages are what they claim to be. What seems to going on is they are giving away less elk tags in whole. My buddy gets the opportunity to hunt on a big private ranch in December and has drawn every year for like 10 years. This year he or his youth daughter didn't draw. They cut the license quota from 60 to 25. The elk numbers are as high as ever in that part of the unit. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think you're correct. I specifically applied to units / tags that I should have had a very good chance of getting based on prior year required preference points. And I didn't get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choices for Elk or Deer. The only explanations I can come up with are that the number of licenses were reduced or these units got significantly more popular over night.

Seems to be working now, must be my lucky year. I drew 67 1st rifle if anyone happens to have any 1st hand knowledge of that hunt I wouldn't be against listening to it. Good luck Everyone!

That's where and what season I am hunting also! Maybe we can exchange some good info of what we see? I am a newbie to Elk, sort of. This will be my 4th time to go, my second time to 67.

It's definitely been getting harder and harder to draw. I think the dow's point system is screwed up. I have been considering applying for New Mexico and Utah. It seems like the out of state hunter's are getting more and more tags and residents less. Good luck next year Rex.

I am from out of state. Texas to be exact. We always get drawn. That sux for you, not me. But, I do think that residents should get preference over out of towners. It is your state, after all.. But, I have heard that it is true what you say about non residents getting preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.