Cold Bore shots

Csafisher

I have a rem700 5R in .308. The cold bore shots with FGMM are about 1" higher and a hair to the right of the following group. I have similar results with Winchester power points but only about .5" high. I've never had a rifle shoot that much on first shot. Is that typical?

I have a rem700 5R in .308. The cold bore shots with FGMM are about 1" higher and a hair to the right of the following group. I have similar results with Winchester power points but only about .5" high. I've never had a rifle shoot that much on first shot. Is that typical?

It is common but not typical. Some barrels need a fouling shot and others don't so On the rifles that I have that do this, I always fire a fouling shot before I go hunting and then just push a dry patch through the barrel. I also use a bore snake for the same purpose.

If you did not break the barrel in, that could/might help if you shot and cleaned 6 to 10 shots.

J E CUSTOM

Are you talking about the first shot out a CLEAN bbl, or the first cold shot of the day with a fouled BBl?

Big difference!!!

Tod

Is the first shot out of the group always in the same place ....IE..is it always high and right, low left, etc.

Edit...never mind, I just re read the OP ..."1" high and a hair to the right"

Try shooting three cold bore shots at the same target. Simply wait 15 (Or more) min between shots. My guess is that the three cold bore shots will form a group. If that is the case, my bet is that you have heat induced stress.

I never shoot a clean bore hunting rifle...mess all you want year long, test all you want..pick your load...clean her up...then dirty her for two/three shots...let her cool for an hour outside then shoot and it will tell you what's going to happen during big game season...then go hunting and you should be very confident of about where she's at ..

I never shoot a clean bore hunting rifle...mess all you want year long, test all you want..pick your load...clean her up...then dirty her for two/three shots...let her cool for an hour outside then shoot and it will tell you what's going to happen during big game season...then go hunting and you should be very confident of about where she's at ..

That is what he is doing.....shooting groups through a fouled bbl.....and....the first (cold) shot of every group is out. He is getting two and ones with the FIRST shot out every time.....and impacting in the same place.

I still say heat induced stress.

Is the first shot out of the group always in the same place ....IE..is it always high and right, low left, etc.

Edit...never mind, I just re read the OP ..."1" high and a hair to the right"

Try shooting three cold bore shots at the same target. Simply wait 15 (Or more) min between shots. My guess is that the three cold bore shots will form a group. If that is the case, my bet is that you have heat induced stress.

I can try that next time. I shot 2 groups. 2nd group was after about 15-20mins. The first shot was pretty close to the other cold shot. Rifle is in HS stock torqued to 65in-lbs. It's not bedded. May end up doing that.

I can try that next time. I shot 2 groups. 2nd group was after about 15-20mins. The first shot was pretty close to the other cold shot. Rifle is in HS stock torqued to 65in-lbs. It's not bedded. May end up doing that.

Obviously, a proper bedding job will never hurt anything. But, if you had random shots out of the group, or shots out of the group impacting in different, random spots, you could blame bedding, bad scope, improperly torqued action screws...something. But, it is your first shot out of a cold bore that is out, and it impacts in the same place every time. I don't think bedding will fix it. Stress relieving the tube should fix it. It isn't unheard of to have a factory BBL that needs work.

But, like I said earlier, shoot 3, 4, or 5 shots ...all from a cold bore...at the same target. See if you get a group. Try and find a calm day and maybe use wind flags. A group that takes an hour to shoot my (probably will) encounter wind changes and mess with the group.

Again, just my .02
Tod

Obviously, a proper bedding job will never hurt anything. But, if you had random shots out of the group, or shots out of the group impacting in different, random spots, you could blame bedding, bad scope, improperly torqued action screws...something. But, it is your first shot out of a cold bore that is out, and it impacts in the same place every time. I don't think bedding will fix it. Stress relieving the tube should fix it. It isn't unheard of to have a factory BBL that needs work.

But, like I said earlier, shoot 3, 4, or 5 shots ...all from a cold bore...at the same target. See if you get a group. Try and find a calm day and maybe use wind flags. A group that takes an hour to shoot my (probably will) encounter wind changes and mess with the group.

Again, just my .02
Tod

What do you mean by stress relieving the barrel? I'm not too worried about it, just curious as to why it may occur. It's not as significant with my hunting ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.