clean bore shots ?

zookman

I have read to ignore the first couple of shots ! Why is that ? I shot my encore today after cleaning it sunday. @ 100yds 3 shot group .573

Congratulations, it sounds like you have a good shooter there.

Depending on the rifle, load, number of rounds fired, and cleaning method you may get varying results.

One of the biggest factors is whether or not you lubricate and the kind of lubrication you use at the end of your cleaning process.

A round fired from a freshly clean barrel that has a film of oil incurs a very different resistance from a barrel that's been fouled with one or 2 shots. The latter situation may also be easier to reproduce consistent results with.

After shooting .573 with the first 3 shots, did you wait a bit and try it again without cleaning, and again, and so on?

I'd also suggest that you not ignore those first few shots. Rather pay close attention to them and keep notes so that you know what cleaning methods work best for you and whether you need to foul your barrel before hunting or competing.

Last edited:
I think its a shooter but I'm just a deer hunter ! Lol no I didn't shoot any more today. Thanks on the tips. Gonna try some 650yd shot this weekend longest sofar is420 3inch group with a flyer

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.