Cold Bore Shots .224 Valkyrie 18" AR

Core781

I have been shooting .22LR shooting bulls for a while. The first shot is always way off (1-2moa) at 50 yards: I like to shoot a shot or two into the berm when I compete to warm the barrel and it keeps the shot placement tight within 2mm approx.

I'm working on a hunting rifle in .224 Valkyrie I do all the sighting at 100 yards. It's cold bore shot seems to be two moa left one moa down. I use a mil optic so I think in metrics so I'm converting. I'm using the Federal 75g TMJ to work the bugs out of the system. I'm able to shoot sub 1moa five shot groups at 100 yards with this stuff 25% of four sample groups. I'm able to make a cold bore shot right into the bull the vast majority of time, but the cartridge produces random flyers which pull out 2moa which is frustrating. I tested at 50 yards and confirmed the same approx 1moa flyers random with perfect trigger break.

#1 My question is with premium match grade ammo what should I expect for consistency? #2 I would also like any recommendations for 18" barrel loads from users in .224?
#3 What can I expect for a cold bore deviation at 100 yards, with the premium ammo? Given the fact that the 75g TMJ shoots sub moa at 100 yards I'm guessing the barrel can do much better.

I built the rifle for hunting Whitetail and for longer range defense. I have tested a bunch of lots and some are better than others. I'm using the Federal Fusion, and will be testing some lots soon. I also plan to use Hornady 80-88g ELD Match, but I have a small quantity and need more for testing. I'll probably use Hornady ELD's for deer to prevent meat damage, and Fed. Fusion for bear. I'm open to Fed. Berger OTM and any load that will produce good results in 18" Length and weight is important for me, so I'm trying to keep this compact and light. It's around 10lbs with optic at this point not including cartridges and mag. which is good for me.

Thanks in advance. I would really like to hear from folks who shoot 100 yards and their experiences with shooting factory FMJ's versus Match and Hand loads. Also appreciate .224 load recommendations. :)

Do you clean your barrel before the cold bore shot flyers? Premium ammo as long as your gun likes it should be sub moa capable. I was having a similar issue with an AR I built until I noticed the gas block was hitting the handguard.

As for the 22 LR, when you clean a barrel it will take up to 5 shots to get the barrel settled in. You'll notice a 22 LR bullet has a was/lubricant on it that helps it travel along the barrel, so when you clean it you lose this much needed lubricant.

I don't have experience with the .224 Valkirie, however, if you want a consistent Sub MOA or Sub Half MOA I would recommend you start reloading.

You will also need to fire a few rounds to get the barrel ready after you clean it. I never start a match or go hunting with a clean barrel.

If your going to use factory ammo, each type will group differently and also have a different POI as you know happens also with .22 LR ammo. So try different brands and types and see what your gun likes.

This flyer that you get, is it towards the end of the 5 shot group or does it happen on the 2 or 3rd round? A hot barrel will cause flyers.

Hope this helps

Do you clean your barrel before the cold bore shot flyers? Premium ammo as long as your gun likes it should be sub moa capable. I was having a similar issue with an AR I built until I noticed the gas block was hitting the handguard.

Yes. I clean the barrel after I fire it every time. I haven't started with the Match ammo yet. I have at least 1/16" from my gas block to my handguard. I was careful when I built it to ensure the gas block had enough clearance. I can't wait to try the Match ammo. I don't really know how many rounds are required to foul the barrel. When I get the barrel to the point I want it, I'm going to keep it fouled and run a little CLP through it. I should probably get some preshot lube formula like pro shot or something, I've read it works well here.

As for the 22 LR, when you clean a barrel it will take up to 5 shots to get the barrel settled in. You'll notice a 22 LR bullet has a was/lubricant on it that helps it travel along the barrel, so when you clean it you lose this much needed lubricant.

I don't have experience with the .224 Valkirie, however, if you want a consistent Sub MOA or Sub Half MOA I would recommend you start reloading.

You will also need to fire a few rounds to get the barrel ready after you clean it. I never start a match or go hunting with a clean barrel.

If your going to use factory ammo, each type will group differently and also have a different POI as you know happens also with .22 LR ammo. So try different brands and types and see what your gun likes.

This flyer that you get, is it towards the end of the 5 shot group or does it happen on the 2 or 3rd round? A hot barrel will cause flyers.

Hope this helps

I'm logging a flyer on the cold bore, approx 2moa @ 100. I'm getting random flyers after the cold bore flyer mostly 1moa with the cheap Federal TMJs. I believe it's the ammo. I have tested six different lots and two of the six shoot very poorly, one in particular is absolute trash. Four meet my standards, and two of the four are absolute tack drivers. This is just out of 75g TMJ. I want this for defensive purposes: so it's important to know it will produce consistent results. I'll probably hunt with Fusion and Hornady ELD. Someday I hope to load.

On a cold bore I get bullseyes every time but on a clean bore I can be off by an 1". I would recommend to ge the barrel dirty and then test your ammo if you want to try other loads. Your rifle won't like all ammo.

On a cold bore I get bullseyes every time but on a clean bore I can be off by an 1". I would recommend to ge the barrel dirty and then test your ammo if you want to try other loads. Your rifle won't like all the ammo. And if going hunting, leave the barrel dirty. I've read multiple times that military snipers don't go in the field with a clean barrel

On a cold bore I get bullseyes every time but on a clean bore I can be off by an 1". I would recommend to ge the barrel dirty and then test your ammo if you want to try other loads. Your rifle won't like all the ammo. And if going hunting, leave the barrel dirty. I've read multiple times that military snipers don't go in the field with a clean barrel

Okay seems to make sense. With my .22 I have to warm the barrel up on the first shot in the berm and it will shoot bulls until it cools down. The .224's SPR barrel cools faster than the bull on the .22 I think. I guess it being off by an inch or two at 100 yards is not critical with the TMJ ammo on the first shot. It's just frustrating, in thinking the barrel temperature could cause such a deviation with the cheaper cartridges. Maybe it is in fact the barrel not being dirty. I will test this hypothesis out soon and attempt to disprove it. I will also test the Match cartridges soon and see what they can do at 100 yards. I think of 200 rounds so far, the TMJ's have put 25%-ish into bulls from cold fouled bore. But I really believe it's the ammo: it's dirty powder also. Reminds me of the old military surplus 5.56N stuff I used year ago. But then again AR's are filthy beasts compared to bolt guns anyway.

Last edited:
I don't clean my barrels very often hundereds and hundreds of rounds between cleanings I don't have cold/clean bore issues. I have one gun that takes around 30 rounds to settle back into 3/4 MOA accuracy after a cleaning typically 2-3 shots I would say is enough to get most barrels ready to go.

I don't clean my barrels very often hundereds and hundreds of rounds between cleanings I don't have cold/clean bore issues. I have one gun that takes around 30 rounds to settle back into 3/4 MOA accuracy after a cleaning typically 2-3 shots I would say is enough to get most barrels ready to go.

I'm still getting some copper fouling beyond what I feel is normal. Being a stainless barrel rather than chrome lined, I believe it needs a little more polishing. Been using JB #1 and #2. I will keep your advice in mind when I reach a happy copper equilibrium.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.