COAL gauge modified case

jmason

I have a modified case for a 270 that doesn't slide into the chamber without force. The first one I have had a problem with. My question is could I get away with FL resizing the 270 case and using a 280 expander ball to get it to work? Will this make the neck to wide? It's a factory chamber.

Why not use the .270 expander? If you can tap it through after you resize (remove it from the die), it will likely hold the bullet just right. The 280 would let the bullet be very loose. Also, it might keep the neck from chambering.

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue.

AJ

I think you do understand and that's a great idea. I Don't know why I didn't think of that. The bullets are a sloppy fit anyway in these things(at least for the 5 or so I have). I'll give it a shot and post back. AJ, if I ever get my act together I'll have to mail you and Roy a cold one for the help you two keep giving me!

The neck may be too thick and you may have to turn off some of it. I have had to do that on 3 of the modified cases, usually because of a tight neck chamber. It will not hurt to turn the neck down to .010" or even less.

The bullet needs to be loose in the neck so you can get the amount of force right when you are pushing it to the lands.

I think you do understand and that's a great idea. I Don't know why I didn't think of that. The bullets are a sloppy fit anyway in these things(at least for the 5 or so I have). I'll give it a shot and post back. AJ, if I ever get my act together I'll have to mail you and Roy a cold one for the help you two keep giving me!

Heck with that, I'll have to come down to PA and shoot a groundhog or something, then drink a cold one with you!

AJ

I didn't get a chace to put the modified case in the chamber last night, but here is what I found and did. I Resized the case, and ran it back and forth through the .277 expander to get it loose. That didn't get it loose enough for the bullets to slide freely(without excessive force) in the case so I ran the 284 expander through it. The neck is tighter than it was before all this. I'll know tonight but I think the case neck was just a little over sized from Hornaday.

AJ, I just noticed the "SE" in your location. Your not that far away!

I didn't get a chace to put the modified case in the chamber last night, but here is what I found and did. I Resized the case, and ran it back and forth through the .277 expander to get it loose. That didn't get it loose enough for the bullets to slide freely(without excessive force) in the case so I ran the 284 expander through it. The neck is tighter than it was before all this. I'll know tonight but I think the case neck was just a little over sized from Hornaday.

AJ, I just noticed the "SE" in your location. Your not that far away!

You've probably about got it whipped. Let us know.

No, I'm not too far away from PA. Do you have any good woodchuck shootin down there in the spring?

AJ

That worked!! It's not perfect but it is a usable tool now.

AJ, I'll PM you about the wood chucks......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.