Modified Case for Hornady Gauge

just like to eliminate inconsistency to rule it out as a potential problem. The gauge just seems inconsistent to me.

Last edited:
How do you explain when everything goes right and you get rather exact readings repeatedly?

Personally, I don't think it's all that important. The measurement just gives you a reference point to work from. All of my hunting ammo is loaded with the bullets off the rifling. If I think the bullets are .020" off but they are really .027" off; does it matter? As long as you have a reference point that you can repeat, you're good to go IMO.
I'd have to agree. It's just a reference point to index off of and then all the seating depth load work adjusts off of that point. Shoot for groups and then adjust.

IMO a case that has been fireformed to a chamber will be the tighter fit than a new case. I can press a fireformed case into a chamber by hand and pull it out. I feel the case snugly fitting into the chamber so there is surface contact but it's nothing like a three or five thou press fit. A new case just drops into a chamber. So there is some slop but it would index off the shoulder. Either way would be fine imo. Like I said it's an index point or reference point to adjust seating depth off of. Nothing to start an argument over. It's a nice service Len and Jill are providing for basically free. No need to reward kindness with criticism. Have a Happy Friday and a good weekend.

IMO a case that has been fireformed to a chamber will be the tighter fit than a new case. I can press a fireformed case into a chamber by hand and pull it out. I feel the case snugly fitting into the chamber so there is surface contact but it's nothing like a three or five thou press fit. A new case just drops into a chamber. So there is some slop but it would index off the shoulder. Either way would be fine imo. Like I said it's an index point or reference point to adjust seating depth off of. Nothing to start an argument over. It's a nice service Len and Jill are providing for basically free. No need to reward kindness with criticism. Have a Happy Friday and a good weekend.
I used to buy the factory modified cases and I did have some inconsistency. Since then I use a fired case and the variance has tightened to near zero.

Personally, I don't think it's all that important. The measurement just gives you a reference point to work from.
DING DING! Modified case is to me the easiest way to get this reference point, and I like the Hornady tool set up in general. I've done it about every way any one has ever posted to try, but this is what I find quickest.

To your point about it being a reference, I agree because what else is there actually gain from this measurement other than 1) a starting point for seating depth, and 2) a way to track throat erosion.

IMO neither of those are truly very important - the first is just one of many ways to not make a complete WAG on your seating depth testing starting point, the is just a footnote in my barrel book that hasn't shown a significant correlation to barrel life.

Everything I do after finding the CBTO length that corresponds to lands engagement is based on CBTO of loaded rounds, I might make notes how far away that was from the initial measurement my final load ends up being, but it doesn't actually mean anything.

You should have a GOOD Drill press (can do without a Lathe). Drill STRAIGHT and then TAP use a good TAP & Drill oil.
If you don't have the equipment. Please don't drill and tap crooked cases. Just put in the mail for a small shipping fee and we will help out.
I don't even try anymore, I absolutely and completely boogered up a 223 Rem/6 Mongoose case. Paying someone to do it right is the best way for me 🤣

I used to buy the factory modified cases and I did have some inconsistency. Since then I use a fired case and the variance has tightened to near zero.
Yes I do agree to some point. I have OCD and want everything to be a Fire Formed case to chamber.
Send us you fireformed cases and we will drill & tap for free.
However it should not matter if new or fireformed. It is all "Relevant" Case Length from base to the bullet hitting the lands. I know if I put a lengthily explanation to prove this, I will have someone to disagree. I'll just say that it is correct and a very good way to determine where the "Ogive" is by using the Hornady Modified Case Gauge Tool.
Bottom line if you need a Modified Case made we will do it for you. We have already made hundreds and Hornady has done many THOUSANDS. Can't be that incorrect if it doesn't work?
For reloaders that want to use this system we can help you out. For those that don't believe in it, please keep your comments to yourselves and you don't have to use our FREE service.
Just a thought!
Jill and I have been doing a lot of different FREE services and free components for many shooters/hunters for MANY YEARS. We never asked for anything-No Labor, No Materials, No Shipping, but except maybe give us some business later on or more important "HELP OUT OTHER HUNTER SHOOTERS" . Our "Pay it Forward" has been in our Business Model since we started.
We can't do everything for free.
The reason we do this is because there are MANY other Shooter/Reloader/Gunsmiths/Friends that have helped us out and never asked for one CENT. Just "Pay it Forward".
Thanks to all LRH members for providing to each and everyone one of us with information on Hunting/Shooting/Reloading/Gunsmithing. We learn something new almost every day from reading POSTS.
Thanks much
God Bless
Len n& Jill

It's an awesome thing you are doing and much appreciated. I had a fellow competitor make me one on his lathe out of some bolts and some other stuff, basically built an expander and then drilled and tapped a piece of brass. $50 lol

We are still having quite a few LRH Members responding and happy to help out and make Modified Cases for your chamber.
For anyone wanting to make their own Modified Case you can purchase a "Tap & Bit" through Amazon.

HSS 5/16-36 Right hand Thread Tap and 7.3mm Drill bit

You should have a GOOD Drill press (can do without a Lathe). Drill STRAIGHT and then TAP use a good TAP & Drill oil.
If you don't have the equipment. Please don't drill and tap crooked cases. Just put in the mail for a small shipping fee and we will help out.

Jill and I have all the equipment already so we are offering to Drill & Tap your brass cases for you. Lathe/Drill/Piloted Spindle Tap for a straight Tap.
You should be able to put a few cases in an envelope and then ship inexpensively through USPS. USPS Flat rate envelope is $5 now.

We an not looking for any compensation, just to have you "Pay it Forward" to help another Hunter/Shooter and maybe return the favor to us in the future.
Also if you need Gunsmithing pertaining to Chambering/Threading/Cerakoting in the near future please contact us.
Our Shop is almost finished with the "Renovation". Just need some more electrical work and equipment placement in the new shop.
Thanks much & God Bless
If you can't shoot straight, just shoot anyway. You are bound to get better with practice.
This is what we just made for Modified Cases
6mmBR
6mm Creed
6.5 Creed
260 Rem
7SS
308Rem
8mm
270WSM
25-SSWM
325 WSM
204 Ruger
223Win
and many many others.
If you have any case and need one made for your rifle/pistol chamber let us know.
Its $5.00 for shipping. from us to you
We are sure that some previous members will verify the Modified Cases we made for them.
Anything else just let us know by PM
We probably have done close to 100 cases of different calibers for LRH members and Shooters recently.
BTW if you are having new rifle built and don't have the brass yet-let us know. We may already have some Modified Cases made and can send to you.
Thanks and God Bless
Len & Jill
Len and Jill,
You two are wonderful. Thanks for offering this service. I have a 325 wsm that I want to reload but can't find a gauge for that caliber. Could I please send a couple cases to you, so you could drill and tap them. I want to offer payment if you will take it.
Thank you again for the generous offer.

Len and Jill,
You two are wonderful. Thanks for offering this service. I have a 325 wsm that I want to reload but can't find a gauge for that caliber. Could I please send a couple cases to you, so you could drill and tap them. I want to offer payment if you will take it.
Thank you again for the generous offer.
Happy Ney Year
We, will do a few for free ($5) for shipping back.
Will PM you our address.
Well you don't have enough Posts to PM.
We have a .325WSM Drilled 7 Tapped that we can just send you. we are at our shooting club right now for a few days. I'll figure out how to get your address just give me a few days
thanks
Len & Jill