"Clickers" on virgin cases

Shane Lindsey

Have noticed clickers on my loads within load ranges from Berger, not high end either. ADG cases. Very faint ejector pin so thought it may be upper end of pressure.

Went to set up the sizing die on 2x fired cases.
Removed firing pin and ejector. After working with the fired cases, all with clickers. Placed ejector pin back in to the bolt.
I wanted to see what virgin cases would feel like as I also get ejector swipe with virgin cases. I have polished the ejector pin and still get them, also get slight ejector print on start loads.

As I lifted the bolt on the virgin cases, I noticed the clicker at the top of the bolt lift. Is this a timing issue? Bolt closure is not as smooth as on some of my other rifles.

Action is a Rem 700 300 Ultra (Christensen before they made their own actions).

Anyone ever see this before? Looking for insight...is it fixable, worth fixing?

Thanks

Ejector marks come from brass flowing into the ejector hole. You have got to have enough pressure to do it. So your experiencing high pressure. The clickers are coming from a case head thats expanding most likely. If your loads are within normal range, Id say you have a tight barrel and should contact the manufacturer.

At the very top of the bolt lift, the caming action, you can feel the click as it releases the case. Can be an indication of pressure with fired cases. In this rifle, I am getting them with virgin cases.

So bump the shoulder a couple thou. Its got to be tight to see a scuff mark on an unfired case. This is likely not related to the click. Even with a poor die to chamber fit you dont get a click on the first firing unless your WAY over pressure. Id look close at fired brass for a ring that would indicate a groove in the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.