Cleaning with patches only

the blur

Recently as I don't know which brush is which anymore, I've been cleaning with just patches. Haven't seen anything detrimental at all.

Any comments are welcome.

Just didn't want to jam a brush in there, and leave micro scratches.

Recently as I don't know which brush is which anymore, I've been cleaning with just patches. Haven't seen anything detrimental at all.

You mean like worse than the ones produced by the 3000 fps projectile going down it?🤣

What cartridge? How many rounds between cleaning? How many rounds down the barrel? Not sure this applies to the bigger magnum types for as long between cleanings. I would imagine powder type has a lot to do with it if using a smaller one.

If you have ever cleaned an AR type rifle and had to use a scraper on back of the bolt or the back end of the firing pin...that same crud builds up in a barrel. We don't see it in a bolt action, but it is there...

Sensing a rouse...but I'll bite.

I never could understand how a bronze or nylon brush could scratch a steel surface.

Anyway, as long as I perform regular intervals of cleaning I limit the use of brushes since the cleaning agents work well enough..

I thought everyone use a stainless steel tornado brush on a long rod powered by a drill and spun on high to get all the gunk out of the barrel? I hear that polishes the sharp edges off the rifling really well.

Actually DON'T DO THAT, (your early morning joke of the day)
I was just joking, but like Rick said it's hard to see how a bronze or nylon brush will scratch a steel barrel if you're not trying to cause damage.

i recently purchased bore scope, after cleaning my rifle (patches white) looking at bore does not appear to be clean any sugg?
Yea throw the bore scope away, hahaha, just kidding. I purchased one last year too and there's no telling what it has cost me, seriously.
Does your rifle shoot like it did before you bought the bore scope or did you buy the bore scope because something was going on? Is the barrel CM or SS, it makes a difference on what people may recommend to clean it with if it's not shooting good now.

i recently purchased bore scope, after cleaning my rifle (patches white) looking at bore does not appear to be clean any sugg?
Depends on the type of solvents you use. Unless you use a copper solvent, it's not uncommon for the powder residue to get cleaned out and then patches come out clean, but there's still a lot of copper fouling.

I thought everyone use a stainless steel tornado brush on a long rod powered by a drill and spun on high to get all the gunk out of the barrel? I hear that polishes the sharp edges off the rifling really well.

Actually DON'T DO THAT, (your early morning joke of the day)
I was just joking, but like Rick said it's hard to see how a bronze or nylon brush will scratch a steel barrel if you're not trying to cause damage.
No, but that sure has done a great job on my shot gun barrels.

Out at the bench, the Otis Ripcord pull through bore cleaner, thing works well. Has an 8-32 thread adapter for a patch holder or the bronze brush.Made in USA quality, it's even got a case fits in the Filson coat pocket. Like to just bend a Q-tip, in an L shape, hang that in the muzzle end and shine little LED micro Streamlight flashlight in for final copper check. Barnes CR-10 and a little non-Chlorinated Brakleen from the NAPA tuff to beat.Seems like most of these barrels only act up first come from the factory, or maybe a not so careful prior owner, after that, they settle in nicely.

Last edited: