Clean bolt lug recesses??

Mram10us

Anyone have a good way to clean the bolt lug recesses of a Rem 700? Aside from pulling the barrel...
Don't want to buy special tools. I've tried:
1. A bent bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it, spun on a rod
2. A fired case in the chamber, spray the area with brake clean then use compressed air (wear a face shield)
3. Trimmed 12gauge bore swab and spun
What ideas do you guys have for a good cleaning?

Your second method sounds best...add a special 90 degree nozzle pipe/tube for the compressed air to reach all the corners. Use more pressure than the "osha" regulated type.

Your second method sounds best...add a special 90 degree nozzle pipe/tube for the compressed air to reach all the corners. Use more pressure than the "osha" regulated type.
Made one out of copper tubing and it worked well after bent. Still needed swabbed a bit

Last edited:
Yes I did read your original post and I will not post on a thread unless I have read all posts posted. I realise you said you don't want to buy any special tool. The reason I posted was I thought you could look at the Tipton and possibly make something similar. I included the price purely for your information! Have a good day.
Did you even read the first post? :)

Yes I did read your original post and I will not post on a thread unless I have read all posts posted. I realise you said you don't want to buy any special tool. The reason I posted was I thought you could look at the Tipton and possibly make something similar. I included the price purely for your information! Have a good day.
Smiley faces mean I'm kidding around. There is always a special tool to buy, but I prefer to build everything. It gives me experience and i get exactly what I want.

I usually just tip my rifle barrel into a garbage can, then use the red nozzle thing on a can of Gun Scrubber and give it a good douching, of coarse it all runs into the chamber and barrel. Add a little compressed air, set it back up, clean the chamber and 2 jag patches down the bore.
I only do this after a cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.