Bolt Lug Lapping Tool Choice

TK 1985

Does anyone have any experience with both the Brownells and the Pacific Tool & Gauge tools for lapping the bolt lugs on a Remington 700 ? Does one work better than the other? Pros/Cons to each? I know the PTG is about $10 cheaper. Also the PTG works off spring pressure, does the Brownells tool do the same or does it screw in for pressure, it's hard to tell from the picture?

I quit lapping bolts several years ago. Lapping just makes existing problems worse. I set up bolts in a jig and machine them. This only removes the higher surface. One has to be careful as to not remove the primary extraction. if much clean up is needed then the bolt handle may need to be repositioned including timing.
Nat Lambeth

Well I will say the receiver lugs have been trued, and it already had pretty good contact before, I don't think that it would take much, so lapping might be a better option.

As my engine repair/machining teacher said 100's of times in his class "Good machining doesn't need lapping and lapping won't fix bad machining."

He was talking about valves, but same story.

I do get that, but there has to be a reason that it seems almost everyone does it as part of the truing process instead of just machining the lugs. Cost effectiveness of one vs the other maybe?

In my opinion (and I'm no gunsmith), lapping lugs started to make a stock action shoot better. It's been done so much and so often, that everyone thinks its a requirement. When a gun smith says "I can machine the lugs and bolt so well, that they do not need to be lapped" most customers are almost offended, so gun smiths continue to lap.

Lapping compound is NASTY stuff. It's hard to clean out, it embeds into the surface of the metal.

As my engine repair/machining teacher said 100's of times in his class "Good machining doesn't need lapping and lapping won't fix bad machining.".

Ditto .................

I do get that, but there has to be a reason that it seems almost everyone does it as part of the truing process instead of just machining the lugs. Cost effectiveness of one vs the other maybe?

TK, Looks to me like you're beyond accepting the fact that a properly trued bolt shouldl not need lapping so I'd suggest you go ahead with it; if it makes you happy.

I'm not beyond accepting it. It just seems to me, and I could very well be wrong, that we are talking about two different things. Yes good machining speaks for itself. But are we talking about a quality action/bolt to start with or working on the stock Remington equipment, which does not measure up to custom made actions as far as machining? Or does it not even matter?

lightbulbGood folks (one of which is a very reputable gunsmith) have provided you with very sound advice, what you do with is entirely up to you.lightbulb

Sometimes a well designed action/bolt assembly (oftentimes overlooked or under appreciated) along with good machining also makes a difference ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/x51SwCZCHCA?t=30[/ame]

Some custom action makers i.e. http://www.bighornarms.com/ and http://www.americanrifle.com/ have adopted same/similar concept and added other features ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/XqhlbCrN980?t=25[/ame]

Having said that, I am in the process of building a custom rifle with Big Horn Arms SR2 LA, just waiting for my Lilja barrel; have another month of wait time.

Last edited:
What I'm asking about the advise, is that even though I'm starting wth a stock sps action and not a well machined custom job, is that machining the lugs as suggested will overcome any deficiencies present. Or am I being told to scrap the idea and start with a better action?

What I'm asking about the advise, is that even though I'm starting wth a stock sps action and not a well machined custom job, is that machining the lugs as suggested will overcome any deficiencies present. Or am I being told to scrap the idea and start with a better action?

Nope, that's not what we're saying; most people that uses the action in question have a reputable gunsmith do the blue printing.

I considered a R700 action and have it blue printed but I went with a custom action instead; cost difference in not as much as most people think nowadays; try running the numbers. I paid a $1,000 for my action and there are others with similar price range.

You have plenty of choices to make. Do you really want a trued R700 action or a custom made action?

Good luck!

I did have a good smith true the action. I was just undecided as to whether I wanted a ptg bolt or not. I came to the conclusion that with the tolerances involved I am going to use the existing bolt, have it fluted and skeletonized by Kampfield. Now, from what you gentlemen are telling me, I just need to have my smith machine down the lugs on my existing bolt as opposed to lapping them

Does anyone have any experience with both the Brownells and the Pacific Tool & Gauge tools for lapping the bolt lugs on a Remington 700 ? Does one work better than the other? Pros/Cons to each? I know the PTG is about $10 cheaper. Also the PTG works off spring pressure, does the Brownells tool do the same or does it screw in for pressure, it's hard to tell from the picture?

I can't tell you anything about those tools, I made my own.

I think a brief lapping of a bolt is a way to determine its condition, how much lug contact you have. You can decide what your next step is based on your finding. You may already have good contact, you may want to do some more lapping to improve the contact, you may want to have it machined.

After machining I would repeat the process to confirm condition. I would also do the same thing on a custom action.

I get that the lapping is just a way to polish it all up, if you're trying to use it to grind the lugs down you're going to affect the nice newly triued action surface as well, and I had fairly good contact to begin with. At what point would you guys suggest machining is necessary? Below 50% contact, 75%, or just machine no matter what?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.