Classified courtesies

I see where you're coming from but the first, I'll take it is a must. If I'll take it isn't posted it should not be allowed to be sold. nobody's time is wasted this way. you could say I'll take it if you take PayPal or whatever else is a concern. I agree with N first I'll take it trumps all.
Maybe it's just me but if i see a public "PM sent" I'll respect that with "I'll take seconds if xxxx doesn't take it"

I look at it like a swap meet, garage sale, gun show, or the like. I would never yell "I take it! " from the back of the line if the sender was having a conversation with someone in front of me. If i was the seller in the same case i would show them the hand until i finished my conversation with the person in front.
Agreed. If you're not in the conversation with someone you don't get to be in the conversation, until you get to to be.

That being said, I think a lot of it has to do with all parties involved. It takes honest and forthcoming people on all sides to make a good deal go through. We should all wait our turns, we should all give consideration to who's interested first and we should all recognize what place we are in. Seems like some golden rule stuff my parents learned me real early.

Theres an old saying money talks and bs walks. Just because you reply first the op doesn't know if you're a tire kicker or serious. First person to say I'll take it in the thread or pm gets it.
The person who is quick to say my inquiries are BS doesn't deserve my business or is someone I wouldn't care to do business with anyways. The funny thing about your statement is that in order to tell which person that you are, inquiries still must be made. How are you going to know if someone is BS if you don't entertain their inquiries? Or would we just want everyone to buy without confidence? Again, golden rule type of stuff.

One situation I had that was ultimately decided by the time stamp on who was first was where a guy responded in the thread and another pm'd me directly. The pm was 2 hrs quicker than the thread response and it wouldn't have mattered if I could've checked but I was offshore fishing and had no service. So going forward I will ask for pm's over thread responses. Other than that, I haven't had any bad experiences with the classifieds.

Two points:

1. An inquiry or conversation about an item for sale is very common even when the person inquiring doesn't intend to purchase the item. I've been there several times. So a seller shouldn't be expected to hold an item during a back & forth conversation if there is someone who declares "I'll take it". Just my opinion

2. If you have a few items for sale, they can get pushed down in the threads pretty fast and the seller isn't necessarily watching all of them all of the time. Anyone interested should send a PM to get the sellers attention, whether they add a post or not. I had a guy post an "I'll take it" under my classified ad but he did not send a PM. The ad got away from me, and I didn't notice the guy's post for several days. The potential buyer interpreted that to mean I had sold it else ware and disregarded his post. PMs are a good idea.

The person who is quick to say my inquiries are BS doesn't deserve my business or is someone I wouldn't care to do business with anyways. The funny thing about your statement is that in order to tell which person that you are, inquiries still must be made. How are you going to know if someone is BS if you don't entertain their inquiries? Or would we just want everyone to buy without confidence? Again, golden rule type of stuff.
If someone wants to ask a question thats fine. But I am no way obligated to sell it to you first just because you replied first. Your right I have no clue who's kicking tires or who is serious. Being this is the internet I have no clue who most of these folks are in the real world. So if I wait around on you and you never reply or you dont want it you just wasted my time and possibly cost me a buyer. Or guys will lowball and then get po'ed when you sell it someone else.