Classified courtesies

tigerwerkes

I've been a faithful member for several years now and cherish the general manners and courtesies embraced by the large majority of the members here. This forum is truly different from any other that i have explored. However, lately i have noticed that a lot of deals are being negotiated with buyers not even posting that they had sent a pm. I've made two inquires in the last two days only to be cut off by a SPF post. It used to be common practice to engage with the first public post of interest before doing a deal solely from a PM.

Am i offended? Certainly not, but it is a degradation of a courteous practice i observed by other members and mimmick with every purchase i initiate.

I know it's not a rule, but courtesy shouldn't need to be.

I've been a faithful member for several years now and cherish the general manners and courtesies embraced by the large majority of the members here. This forum is truly different from any other that i have explored. However, lately i have noticed that a lot of deals are being negotiated with buyers not even posting that they had sent a pm. I've made two inquires in the last two days only to be cut off by a SPF post. It used to be common practice to engage with the first public post of interest before doing a deal solely from a PM.

Am i offended? Certainly not, but it is a degradation of a courteous practice i observed by other members and mimmick with every purchase i initiate.

I know it's not a rule, but courtesy shouldn't need to be.
Good Post.
We were going to Post something similar.
If you look at our Selling/Buying/Trading history we have a good record.
We have saw Classifieds Posts come up with item(s) and immediately responded to the ADD and sent the member Posting a response and/or PM to ask a question (before stating "I'll Take It") and then never receive a response and see the item(s) SOLD.
I know that the SELLER can sell to anyone they want.
If you ask about it first should not be given the opportunity to purchase FIRST???
We don't purchase/sell anything unless we talk to the other party before just sending/receiving funds or shipping.

"I'll take it" posts trump everything for me

Too many tire kickers

But then you better pay promptly as well.
Kind of missing the Point.
If you are the First to respond to the Add, should you not get first chance to buy it? Just because you want to know more about the item doesn't mean that if you don't take it the person next in line can't have at it.

I won't make a transaction without having an agreement between the buyer/seller on Payment/Shipping first.

That is why you see Items back up for Sale "Buyer Backed Out'. Probably didn't know the whole deal and then one party didn't agree.

Last edited:
The first person to stop by my camp and start a conversation about an item gets first consideration. That person gets first consideration until he/she is done considering. Maybe I'm just old school but I would treat the classifieds here no different than a face to face deal. If I'm talking to someone about selling something, I would gladly tell anyone with a hand full of cash to politely wait until the first gentlemen has finished with his consideration. That is the kind of attention I would expect. Public or PM, whomever established interest first deserves first right of refusal in my book.

First I'll take it whether PM or Post gets priority from me.

I will also give priority to the first person who makes a serious inquiry. I'll tell the next in line that someone else is ahead of them but I'll at least give the first person and honest chance.

I think a public post trumping everything is wrong. and it also open you up to scammers.

if I get an I'll take it PM 2 hours before a public post saying the same, then it's not fair that the public post gets it just because it was a post vs a PM.

Last edited:
I'll offer another lens to view this under- I believe some folks may also want to keep their buying habits private, and will only communicate via PM and not in the main thread. I have had this happen to me when selling a few times. I always go by time stamp and let other people know if I am in talks with someone else who may have beat them according to the clock. But I also reply to everyone who shows interest and let them know the situation and where they stand "in line" so to speak.

I don't have a problem with PM only deals but I do believe the seller should keep everyone updated that has shown interest.

The first person to stop by my camp and start a conversation about an item gets first consideration. That person gets first consideration until he/she is done considering. Maybe I'm just old school but I would treat the classifieds here no different than a face to face deal. If I'm talking to someone about selling something, I would gladly tell anyone with a hand full of cash to politely wait until the first gentlemen has finished with his consideration. That is the kind of attention I would expect. Public or PM, whomever established interest first deserves first right of refusal in my book.
I look at it like a swap meet, garage sale, gun show, or the like. I would never yell "I take it! " from the back of the line if the sender was having a conversation with someone in front of me. If i was the seller in the same case i would show them the hand until i finished my conversation with the person in front.

Kind of missing the Point.
If you are the First to respond to the Add, should you not get first chance to buy it?
In a perfect world, yes, but classifieds are basically reverse auctions. There is pressure and "gamesmanship/competition/ impulse " associated with the classifieds that when the price reaches a "low enough" number.... someone claims it, then shells out the cash...

These are auctions.... cash is king, and first to provide it wins.

There are a very few select members (you are one of them) who i hold in high regard that i would take your questioning seriously and i would also post on my classified that I am engaged with a serious buyer who has first shot at purchase.

otherwise, first to post I'll take it wins for me.

BUT ALL OF THIS NEEDS TO BE CONTROLLED BY THE SELLER.

Clearly state how you want to sell it, payment methods, communication and how you want to engage with potential buyers.

I'll offer another lens to view this under- I believe some folks may also want to keep their buying habits private, and will only communicate via PM and not in the main thread. I have had this happen to me when selling a few times. I always go by time stamp and let other people know if I am in talks with someone else who may have beat them according to the clock. But I also reply to everyone who shows interest and let them know the situation and where they stand "in line" so to speak.

I don't have a problem with PM only deals but I do believe the seller should keep everyone updated that has shown interest.
And you would correctly post SOLD PENDING FUNDS immediately.

I see where you're coming from but the first, I'll take it is a must. If I'll take it isn't posted it should not be allowed to be sold. nobody's time is wasted this way. you could say I'll take it if you take PayPal or whatever else is a concern. I agree with N first I'll take it trumps all.