chronograph

Yes, a little. But not lots. I presume the distance from muzzle setting is for accuracy - not decibel sensitivities, based on my reading of the manual. I'd like to know if that's so, or not.
Maybe an an e-mail inquiry to LabRadar is in order, seeking clarification on the purpose and value of the distance setting.
I'll also ask if there are other additional options to improve triggering sensitivity with lesser decibel muzzle blast firearms.

Triggering with the howitzers isn't a problem.

I keep mine set at 18" and muzzle about that far away. I don't shoot at public ranges really, so my trigger level is set at 2. Most all my rifles, from magnums with brakes to .223 with no brake are shot with muzzle about 6 inches behind the unit and with the muzzle even with center of the side of the LabRadar. I dont have any problems at all worth It triggering unless the unit is low on batteries.

Have you updated to the latest software? I didn't have the issues , but I'm pretty sure one of the revision changes was specific to trigger issues.

Thanks.
You shoot your muzzle braked rifles without shielding directly to the side of the unit? The muzzle blast pressure wave from my braked .338 Lapua Improved is horrific! I set a blast brake in between the LR and the brake. No problem triggering with it.
I haven't had issues triggering except with 357Mag, 22WMR, and reduced load (2000fps) AR15 .223 loads.
I'll program as you have and see how it goes.
My unit came with the most current software version when I checked one month ago.
I purchased it in 12/17, so about 2 months ago.
Gonna send some questions to tech support today also.

I received additional information and advice on the best setup and use of the LabRadar from LabRadar contact/rep. One of my concerns was is my unit functioning properly. With this information from the company rep, I believe mine is fine. I'll just need to be more careful on placement of the muzzles with the lower decibel levels from the 22LR and other low muzzle report firearms.

Here's what I asked, followed by the company response, FYI and use:

Question #1) Could you tell me if the distance from muzzle setting (6", 12", 18") has any affect on the triggering of the radar when the firearm is discharged? Or is this setting only provided to improve the accuracy of the recorded bullet velocity - based on the distance the unit is positioned from the muzzle?
It uses this setting to let it know what angle you are entering the radar beam at and how long it takes the sound to travel from your muzzle to the LabRadar, among other things, but as long as you have it inputted correctly you will get accurate results. If you are closer it will trigger more easily but with larger muzzle blast being so close that it is causing the radar to shake is a bad thing. With your 22LR and other similar bullets you will want to be close since there is barely any muzzle blast.
Question #2) With the trigger level settings, 1 is the most sensitive setting, correct? Is that the best setting to improve the odds of triggering when shooting 22LR, 22WMR, reduced MV loads from my .223, and pistols/revolvers?
Trigger Level 1 is the most sensitive. For the calibers you have listed above have it on trigger level one with a 6" projectile offset. If you expect velocity below 1600fps put it in handgun velocity range, if it is above choose rifle. With 22LR and similar very small muzzle blasts you will need to put the LabRadar about 6" in front of the end of the muzzle and about 3 inches to the side of the unit. You will see in the photo attached how I use suppressors with the LabRadar, you will want to mimic that with your 22LR and similar calibers.

Suppressed weapon position with Labradar.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.