chronograph

OK. I played with my unit and figured it out.
After the unit has been powered up and armed, the user must push and hold the "arm" button for 2 -3 seconds, in order to start a new "Series", or string. After holding the arm button for 2 - 3 seconds, then tap the "Series" button, and the menu will ask if you want to start a new "Series". Select Yes and tap Enter, and the unit will start a new Series / String.
Turns out there are a lot of LabRadar owners that don't know how to start a new series, shy of powering down and back up again. So here's how. Press and hold the "arm" button for 2-3 seconds.
Have had my LabRadar out 2 more times. A cluster of frustration the first time out due to operator error. Was trying to capture some 357Mag revolver reload velocities. So I brought along my .22 pistol so I could verify the LabRadar was functioning before firing the 357Mag. Fired 7 rounds with the .22LR. No readings. Tried different positions. Nothing. Tried the 357Mag, thinking the louder report might trigger and record. Nope. Gave up and headed home to study the instruction manual further.
Head back out the next day after reviewing the instruction manual. Unit records some reduced loads from my .223 AR. Try the revolver and nothing. Well, I finally remember there's a different setting for pistols (slower bullets). Switch to that setting and then it does record the 357Mag bullet velocities.
Turns out you have to be as smart or smarter than the instruction manual. Not fair!:mad:
A lot of frustration due to operator error.

Beyond that fiasco, I also had more difficulty triggering the unit and capturing shot velocities compared to my first successful use. First use I caught bullet velocity all the way out to 75yds. Even the smaller diameter .22WMR and .223 AR bullets. This time the radar had more trouble tracking out to 75yds. But all in all, it worked pretty well. Not too much to complain about.
I will again comment that there are some operational nuances that will likely be reduced with addition experience.
Battery power seems solved with the use if the USB power supply.;)

Last edited:
One more comment on the operational inconvenience if the LabRadar. It's a major PITA to leave the prone position to be able to reach the "arm" button in order to arm the unit to record the next bullet fired.
The company says they're coming out with a Bluetooth app that will enable the operator to arm/operate the unit remotely from a smartphone or laptop.
Having to leave my prepared shooting position to reach the "arm" button and then getting repositioned to shoot is such a huge inconvenience that I cannot recommend this unit, until remote arming is available.
Based on some Forum scuttlebutt I researched and read on the release of a Bluetooth app, it's been in the about to be released status for months and months now. My advice: Wait until the bluetooth app is available before tying up your purchase funds in the LabRadar. It's borderline dysfunctional if you're going to be shooting prone. Plan on bringing along a "really good" and patient buddy to twiddle his thumbs until you need him to arm the unit. Rant off...
Seriously, I'd have waited to purchase the LabRadar had I foreseen the magnitude of disruptive effort involved with arming the unit.

One more comment on the operational inconvenience if the LabRadar. It's a major PITA to leave the prone position to be able to reach the "arm" button in order to arm the unit to record the next bullet fired.
The company says they're coming out with a Bluetooth app that will enable the operator to arm/operate the unit remotely from a smartphone or laptop.
Having to leave my prepared shooting position to reach the "arm" button and then getting repositioned to shoot is such a huge inconvenience that I cannot recommend this unit, until remote arming is available.
Based on some Forum scuttlebutt I researched and read on the release of a Bluetooth app, it's been in the about to be released status for months and months now. My advice: Wait until the bluetooth app is available before tying up your purchase funds in the LabRadar. It's borderline dysfunctional if you're going to be shooting prone. Plan on bringing along a "really good" and patient buddy to twiddle his thumbs until you need him to arm the unit. Rant off...
Seriously, I'd have waited to purchase the LabRadar had I foreseen the magnitude of disruptive effort involved with arming the unit.
This is why I'm contacting MK Machining to see if I can get there device to make my Magno V3 work even better and not change my point of impact. If it works like I'm thinking it will I will be good to go. (Magnetospeed V3 Picatinny Rail Mount) Thank You shooter7 for posting it

Iv had some time with the labradar now and can add a couple of things that that might help. I didnt buy a battery pack as I have a heap of eneloop pro rechargable AAs that perform Well. I use them in a thermal and some game cams I check regularly. Iv had 80+ shots and still had useable battery life but always have a spare set on hand if its going to be a busy trip to the range.
With a braked rifle I can sit the unit at the end of the stock ( close ), parallel with the bipod. Well within reach and functions just fine. I also bought the external trigger for suppressed rifles/rimfires so I can place the unit anywhere as long as the trigger cord will reach. Originally i had the unit just in front of the muzel , once in a string if it timed out I reset it by pushing the button with a stick resting on a couple of sand bags.
Overall Im impressed. The numbers its spits out are proving to be consistently accurate.

This is why I'm contacting MK Machining to see if I can get there device to make my Magno V3 work even better and not change my point of impact. If it works like I'm thinking it will I will be good to go. (Magnetospeed V3 Picatinny Rail Mount) Thank You shooter7 for posting it
That would be a good way to overcome the primary detracting feature of the V3. The affect it can have on bullet POI and precision when mounted on the muzzle.

The one remaining advantage to the LabRadar is the downrange collection of bullet velocity. By collecting 5 velocities down range to 75 or even 100 yds, I can then determine the BC of my bullet with a high degree of accuracy. This comes in handy when shooting bullets that have dubious BC values from the manufacturer, or none at all from some custom bullet manufacturers.

Two examples from my own, current experiences:
1) .22 WMR factory ammo
2) Custom lathe turned monolithic (copper) bullets, without highly accurate BC data

The LabRadar actually captures bullet velocities at every yard or two during bullet flight. That info can be accessed by the user. Which I find VERY impressive. That's just a comment on what the technology is capable of.
Normally the user will only access and use the 6 pre-programmed distances for which bullet velocities are then provided.

I'm going to ask them what the deal is with the App at SHOT next week. It's overdue by a few months and I'd like to know what the deal is too. I will report back.

I'm going to ask them what the deal is with the App at SHOT next week. It's overdue by a few months and I'd like to know what the deal is too. I will report back.

Nice!
Best I could gather from a post on another Forum was Jan/Feb 2018.
It's already Jan. They told me Dec 2017 in Nov 2017. Time goes on for eternity. I have an end time.o_O

Reminiscent of PT&G, when I used to deal with him. Kiff'd again! Whoops... Sorry about that...:rolleyes:

Talked with LabRadar today about the App. He said the software guys told him 2 weeks before he came down to the show. He said they are software guys, so don't count on exactly 2 weeks, but that they are that close. Android first then Apple..

Talked with LabRadar today about their App. He said the software guys told him 2 weeks before he came down to the show. He said they are software guys, so don't count on exactly 2 weeks, but that they are that close. Android first then Apple.

Thanks for stopping at the LabRadar table and sharing what you've learned! Thumbs up to you!!! ;)

LabRadar owner / operators:
How close does your firearm muzzle have to be to the unit to successfully trigger the radar?
If my .357 Mag pistol muzzle is more than 12" from unit - no go.
If my .22WMR isn't within 6" and positioned slightly behind the unit, no triggering of the unit.
With my AR15, shooting reduced loads at ~2000fps, I must take undue care to position the muzzle similar to the 22WMR, within around 8-10" and slightly behind the unit, or again, no triggering.

Wondering if this is normal? I find triggering with the .280AI .300Mag, 7mmRM, .338Lapua Improved, is much less finicky on distances and position from muzzle to the unit.
So I'm wondering if this is "normal" with other LabRadar units...
I'll take my .22LR out and try it the next time. I think the 22LR muzzle will have to be very close, within 6" and slightly behind, in order to trigger my unit.

I have LabRadar and it is a great piece of equipment. A number of guys at the range I shoot use them as well and prefer them over other options out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts