Christmas 'yote

goodgrouper

Christmas \'yote

Well, it isn't really long range (only 85 yards in fact) but it was exactly what I asked for for Christmas. Well that and just to get away from the holiday insanity. So uncle b and I got lost on purpose and managed to call in this Christmas morning coyote. 'Twas a lot better than the lump of coal I would have got if I would have stayed home and had a normal holiday!
christmascoyote.jpg

Here is what a 40 grain Vmax will do to fur at a muzzle velocity of 3975 from a 223:
coyotehole.jpg

And this is where we got lost to. Hope this makes those of you stuck in the snow and frigid temps feel a little warmer. It was a nice holiday in the desert with no one around for miles. By the way, this is part of the Grand Staircase Monument on the border of Utah/Arizona.
lastchance.jpg

Re: Christmas \'yote

Awesome scenery for sure.

We almost had a similar one.

The grandson and I stopped by Tim/Tx place on the way to the in-laws Saturday morning. We got there a little late to hit the woods, so just headed to the levee there back of the barn. TIm headed into the woods several hundered yards over from us to get some limb rats, and as we were just getting situated out comes a yote at about 250yds or so. I had my 270 Win with us and didn't have time to get a real solid rest on him before he spotted us and changed gears. I hit just in front of him and he jumped up about 2' and reversed direction with the afterburners on.

It was still fun, like you said, we were not all cooped up.

Nice looking fured up yote. And the scenery is just awsome. The pics are nice but it just doesn't do it justice.

I took the kids to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. If that place doesn't make you stand in aw and amazement the outdoors just ain't for you.

Last weekend I heard an ole yote give a howl and was able to wait him out. He came out in the dark, I mean it was darkthirty. I could just barely make him out in the 15x N/F. I had to pull the knod to take him out. The shot was only 234yds. which is not that far, but I honestly do not think I could have made that shot with any other glass I have ever looked thru besides the N/F. If you can't see him, you can't shoot him.

Tim

GG and Uncleb
At least when you two get lost you headed south, where it is a little warmer. I heard Uncleb didn't even know the yote was close, call him super hider Uncleb. Or was he taking his Christmas nap? lol Another 400 miles for a yote, way to go. thanks for the pics. IP

Hey Goodgrouper,

Sounds like a good escape there! Nice country.

Just curious, how'd the sheep hunting go in November? If I recall correctly.

GG,

Good job on the yote'; that country is awesome! Glad you had a good Christmas. Yea, how did your sheep hunt turn out? And by-the-way, nice baseball cap, is it a custom deal?

Dave

Good job GG, the close shots are always exciting because the hunter becomes the hunted.

Are you using hand calls or an electronic caller?

I have a Foxpro 416B w/ TX5 remote and am just waiting for some snow. Looking like next weekend.

JD338

Nice yote. Is that a CZ you have there?

I shot a yote last night but I have to say it took alot of luck. I just went out and got him this morning and ranged back to the road I was sitting on, 543,542 yard with the Leica.

This how it happened. I was driving back from calling with my FX3, no luck, when I saw a black spot way out there. It was not moving but it looked to be out of place. I grabbed the Leica but could not get a range on him, he was too small and the field was flat, Saskatchewan for you. So I got the truck lined up so I could use the mirror as a rest and I grab my 243. I chambered a round guessed at the range dailed up 32.5" (I figured it was just over 500 yards judging by the half mile line on the section) and let her go. I heard a pluuuck and when I got the scope back on him he was biting his *** and then he was still. I could not believe it.

My next purchase has to be a camera so that I can let you guys see it. I will just have to get over my gun addiction.

On a side note the yote had mange and had chewed his own tail off and all the fur was gone off his belly and ***.

Pictures really don't do it justice I agree. Looking at those rocks in the foreground you would think they are only beachball sized but in reality, they are the size of houses! Huge, huge country down there.

That coyote came in pretty sneeky and used every bit of sagebrush he could to come in undetected. The only reason I saw him is because I was elevated a bit on a hill and the sun was at my back.

Oh, it was more like 800 miles for one coyote but we did kill a ton of rabbits! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They both went well. The guy with the rocky tag killed his at 60 yards 5 minutes before dark and it was a 175" ram.

The lady with the desert tag killed hers on the second to last day at about 250 yards and it scored 147". I wish I had pics but by the time everyone got back to camp with the horns and meat and cape, it was after midnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I love those Foxpros. I've got to monkey around with them a bit and can't believe how much better they are than the old Johnny Stewart players we've used for years. But for the last several years, we've only used electronic calls for special situations. I really enjoy calling them in with hand calls better. Just makes you feel like you were more involved in the process. Kinda like reloading your ammo vs. buying factory stuff.

Anyhow, good luck on your next coyote hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts