Christianson Mesa 7mm mag—ejector spring issue?

willfrye027

I am working on my buddies 7mm mag doing some load development and seeing some odd issues. First, even with very mild factory loads there are ejector marks on the brass. I talked to Christianson about this and they said it's fine, don't worry about it…primers are not flat which is good. But I did stick a case working up towards max which obviously is not good and tells me the pressure is definitely there.

Next every ejected case is bent at the neck. And bolt lift is ALWAYS heavy even with no round in the chamber. I am also getting quite a bit of brass rubbing off in the chamber and bolt head with even the mildest of loads.

I'm thinking there may be a few issues (rough chamber for one, lots of scratches on fired brass) and possibly the ejector springs are too **** stiff. Anybody else with similar issues? Any ideas for fixes? The barrel is very accurate which is some consolation at least.

2F0EB515-4EC3-4E42-8B09-C6A1AAEDB48B.jpeg

Ejector marks are common with CA they use very stiff springs, but that case mouth isn't. I have a 300wsm in ridgeline that was showing ejector marks and heavy marring on bottom of case. CA said just shoot it, it will loosen up some around 150 rds. And it did. One thing I did also to speed it up was take some fired cases and just cycle them in chamber over and over that seem to smooth it out also. I got nothing to explain that case mouth. Call them and make them explain that, send tech you are talking too the picture.

On my 7rm CA Mesa. I get a slight ejector mark probably 1.5- 2g before max. I have never gotten a bent mouth like that. I have picked up a bunch like that. Springs maybe to stiff.
Are you ripping bolt back? Chamber may need cleaned.
What is your actual brass body swell. Way better way to check pressure vs primers flattening.

Recent Posts