Christensen Hard Bolt Pull

aghunter

I have a new 300WM Christensen Ridgeline that I am beginning load development on.
First order of business was to find the lands by removing the extractor/firing pin, starting a bullet seated long and seating it shorter until resistance is not felt (wheeler method). My issue is that even when the bullet is obviously out of the lands and seated much shorter than SAMMI, the bolt is very hard to pull rearward. The bolt lift is effortless. I am stumped. The bolt operates normally with loaded factory ammo and empty brass without a bullet seated. Once a bullet is seated and loaded the bolt is very hard to pull rearward. This is all unfired brass/bullets as the gun has yet to be fired.
Does anyone have any ideas. What am I missing?

sure is a nice looking gun
I use an old aluminum cleaning rod and a light tap. Sounds like in your case the extractor is still in service. Lift the bolt, put a rod down the barrel an tap.

I have really good luck finding bullet length removing extractor and ejector. Closing bolt several times, aggressively, and then tap the bullet out. Do that 4 or 5 times use the shortest. Oh yea, I don't use a neck sized brass, tension too high. Use metabo to modify brass.

But I could be misunderstanding altogether.

Attachments

• DSCF3905 (800x450).jpg
    DSCF3905 (800x450).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73
I can get it out that is not an issue. What I am trying to determine is why the brass with seated bullet is hard to pull back with a bullet seated but is easly remvoed without a bullet. Even if I seat the bullet extremely deep where I know it is not contacting the lands, it is still hard to pull the bolt reward.

Did you try a dummy round, (no powder or live primer but seated bullet), so you can "fire" it and see if that makes a difference? The no bolt lift resistance makes me suspicious.

I have a CA RL in 300 short mag. Was having pressure issues at lowest published charge weights. Sent back to CA and they replaced the barrel. Slight improvement but still pressure signs. Changed brass, powder, primers etc. etc. took it to my gunsmith and he said it has a tight chamber and he neck turned a dozen rounds of brass for me. Loaded them up and no more pressure signs up to max published data. Long way of saying you might have a tight chamber in the neck area like David G Ranes above said. I now own K&M neck turner

I can get it out that is not an issue. What I am trying to determine is why the brass with seated bullet is hard to pull back with a bullet seated but is easly remvoed without a bullet. Even if I seat the bullet extremely deep where I know it is not contacting the lands, it is still hard to pull the bolt reward.
Neck is too tight.

Fire the rifle, If you cant slide a bullet into the neck of the fired case, The necks need to be turned or reamed, Turning is more accurate, Reaming may be cheaper for you if you already have a lathe style trimmer.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Ran a bore scope into the chamber to find what I can only guess to be a dried up goopy oil. Once the bore was thoroughly cleaned every thing seems to function fine.