Choosing a Full Length Bushing Sizing die

nksmfamjp

As of a few months ago, I was FL sizing 300 WSM with a standard Forster FL Sizing die. It worked ok, but when my issue of random seating marks popped up on bullets, the only way to relieve neck tension enough was to go to expand necks on my expander after fl sizing.

I like the improved accuracy on target and I like the runout improvement. Also, I'm looking to go a bushing die to reduce neck work.

So, looking at a couple options....keep Forster fl die and remove expander..then use k&m expander. Good, but probably overworks necks.

change to l.e. Wilson FL bushing die..then expand with k&m expander...good choice, but I have no idea about Wilson FL dies. What do I need to know?

there are also the Whidden options, Redding and Hornady.

thought? How to choose?

I prefer Forster full length dies with their expander installed in the die. And I saw no improvement in concentricity using a expander die.

In the Redding bushing die FAQ they tell you if the neck thickness varies .002 or more to use the expander that comes with their die. They also tell you if the fired case neck expands .004 or more to reduce the neck diameter in two or more steps to reduce the amount of neck runout.

Meaning bushing dies work best with custom tight neck chambers. And if you have a off the shelf factory rifle with a SAAMI chamber the case neck will expand far more than .004 and your neck runout will increase.

And at the Whidden custom die webpage they tell you that non-bushing full length dies produce more concentric cases.

Below if you are worried about over working your brass then have your Forster dies neck honed. "BUT" this may limit you to one brand of brass or turning your necks.

FL Bushing Dies vs. Honed FL Dies
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/fl-bushing-dies-vs-honed-fl-dies/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.