Check out this mistake

Federal primers are known to be thinner then other brands. I use them strictly for revolver hand loads. When other brands don't go bang with a soft hammer strike you can always count on the Federals to ignite. I use a Lee bench mounted primer for them exclusively because they are so fragile.

I'm glad everyone is OK! Good lesson and example for all of us. Stuff happens especially if we think we are in a rhythm.
Thank you for sharing! We all need the bump sometimes!
Jim

I bought one last year . Love it. And its quick . Yes. Need to figure a way to get primers to came out of box all facing down. Popping them in tube is easy enough .
Glad your ok Rilow. I've had a couple primer mishaps also. I"ve also twice vacumed up and had go off while bouncing around the brush....
I use a rcbs primer tray and it has a lid . Dump them in and put the lid on flip it over and voila you're good to go.

I use a rcbs primer tray and it has a lid . Dump them in and put the lid on flip it over and voila you're good to go.
I've seen the trays. But I notice sometimes the primers aren't facing same way in package. When you dump them into tray how do you get them to all face same way. Does it flip them and land heavy side down ? Then flip tray over ? Sounds like I just started reloading . Lol

I've seen the trays. But I notice sometimes the primers aren't facing same way in package. When you dump them into tray how do you get them to all face same way. Does it flip them and land heavy side down ? Then flip tray over ? Sounds like I just started reloading . Lol
I just flipped the box over in there for some reason you just lightly shake it and they seem to go right side up or right side down and match the rest I might be very lucky it takes all of 2 seconds and then I flip it over the way they need to go so I can just pop the rod on them.

I just flipped the box over in there for some reason you just lightly shake it and they seem to go right side up or right side down and match the rest I might be very lucky it takes all of 2 seconds and then I flip it over the way they need to go so I can just pop the rod on them.
Dang. I'm going to buy one. Might have at store by me. If not I'll order one. Can't believe in 45 years of reloading I never got one...
Thank you very much for enlightening me !

I bought one last year . Love it. And its quick . Yes. Need to figure a way to get primers to came out of box all facing down. Popping them in tube is easy enough .
Glad your ok Rilow. I've had a couple primer mishaps also. I"ve also twice vacumed up and had go off while bouncing around the brush....

Here is the tool I use for that. simply dump the primers in the half with the rings in it and gently shake it side to side and the primers will flip over, then place the lid on it and turn the whole thing over and the primers will all be turned right to load the primer tube without handling them.

Cheep and easy.

J E CUSTOM

Here is the tool I use for that. simply dump the primers in the half with the rings in it and gently shake it side to side and the primers will flip over, then place the lid on it and turn the whole thing over and the primers will all be turned right to load the primer tube without handling them.

Cheep and easy.

J E CUSTOM
Thank you very much ! You and greatwhitehntr have been very helpful. Is the Lyman and RCBS tray the same principle ?
I've been wanting to ask you if you finished your 460 S&W barrel and what length you settled on ? Also if you made a brake for it. Sorry, Rilow for getting off topic . You can reply with a pm if you want.
Thanks !

I anneal with a torch mounted on the side of my bench and drop the finished cases in a metal tray. A couple of times I've had them bounce out and melt to the throw rug. What a mess. I always go and tell my wife I'm annealing so please stay out of the room. Any distraction can possibly lead to an unfortunate event we will both regret. It's reminders like this thread that help reinforce how we can all easily have a mishap.

I have had the vacuum experience too. I only vacuum the reloading room when nobody else is home now. That way I can act like I don't know what happened to the wife's vacuum cleaner. Seriously, everyone be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.