check neck wall thickness on fired brass?

LRH3006

I'm new to reloading and learning a lot. I've heard of checking the neck wall thickness on new brass, but can you check it on fired brass? Will the powder residue effect the thickness readings? I've thought about using a brass brush on the inside of the case mouth to remove any excess powder residue, but don't know if I could get all of it. I use an ultra sonic cleaner.

No one has the answer to this question? No one have at least an educated guess? How about a SWAG?

You can check neck thickness anytime, and with no need to scrub out necks.
The carbon film is about as thick as black, which IMO is the thinnest of all colors..

What is your specific concern? If you are going for extreme accuracy you can measue neck thickness for 2 reasons 1) separate by thickness for consistency 2) cull brass that is not uniform in thickness around the neck, non-uniform brass will cause some runout.

A brush in the neck will get any residue out but like Mikecr said, it's very thin.

The only time I measure neck thickness is when I'm reforming brass and have to turn the necks.

What is your specific concern? If you are going for extreme accuracy you can measue neck thickness for 2 reasons 1) separate by thickness for consistency 2) cull brass that is not uniform in thickness around the neck, non-uniform brass will cause some runout.

You nailed it. I am going for extreme accuracy. I get some fliers every once in a while and I'm trying to take measures to eliminate them. I've got brass for 2 rifles that have been fired several times, so that's why I wanted to know about measuring neck thickness. I've already done a lot of other steps to improve my ammo, checking neck thickness consistency is the next step. I'll cull brass that doesn't have consistent neck thickness.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.