Cheapest of the higher quality scopes

For you long range guys that shoot to 600 yards, what are the lowest/cheapest model scopes you would buy that maintain zero, have reliable clicks/adjustments, and return to zero? I know Zeiss for instance is great but I simply do not have 1000+ dollars to spend on a scope. I am thinking of a budget between 400-800. Yes that is a huge range. I would love to only spend 400 but I understand it simply may not be possible for what I want so I am willing to save for a while to 800 if needed.

Could you please also recommend model and magnification levels
If 600yds is your limit the zeiss conquest series will work great for you at well under 1,000.00.

Look at them and the Leupold VX-3 and VX-6 in 50mm objectives and 4.5-14 power range.

Don't be afraid of buying a quality used scope from either company either.

It has been mentioned, but I would look at the Vortex Viper PST. The 4-16x50 SFP model has been on sale at a bunch of places lately for $510-$525, which is a steal. The thing that separates this from the other Vortex models that have been mentioned is the reticle. It is, in my opinion, the best of the vortex scopes for shooting long range and using wind holds.

IMHO, the Weaver Super Slam is a pretty decent choice, as is the discontinued Nitrex TR 2(same scope).

If you really want a very good scope for very little money,no bells and whistles,.we have three LEUPOLD MARK ARs. On 30-06 & 300wsm. My 30-06 lives under the seat of my truck and is always on be it coyote or steel out to 1000,Natchez has DEMOS.on sale now for less than 300.

I shoot Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 Target with side focus. Troll the classifieds here and they run anywehre from 600-800 new which the low end of that gets close to your price range I guess. I know they aren't as popular as some of the others but we shot two antelope between 580-590 this year on it's first run at actual long range hunting. Worked great. I will probably put one just like it on the 300 RUM I am going to be doing some custom work on.

I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the suggestions so far. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 that, in my opinion, is about the best value in its price range. That might be a little more magnification than you want but it would be worth looking at.

If you like the Vortex HS series, you'll like the Burris Veracity too. I have the 4-20x50 and am very pleased with it. For my eyes and intended use, the Burris is better than the Vortex.

Good luck!

Do you mean concerning clarity, brightness? Do you find the clicks to be as positive and repeatable as the PST ? I ask because I have lessor Burris scopes that are more or less "set them and leave them" types but they are cheaper models.

The specs on the Ver. look good, would like to try one on my Sendero 25-06AI.

I would just save the money and buy a Nightforce Scope as you will appreciate it after its paid for than a lessor quality scope .

Do you mean concerning clarity, brightness? Do you find the clicks to be as positive and repeatable as the PST ? I ask because I have lessor Burris scopes that are more or less "set them and leave them" types but they are cheaper models.

The specs on the Ver. look good, would like to try one on my Sendero 25-06AI.

Yes in clarity and brightness. Also with regards to repeatability and positive clicks -- feel is similar but IMHO, Vortex is more audible. However, the comparison was made with the HS series as noted, not the PST.

I would look at Leupold also. In your price range you can find a good scope with good optics and a heck of a warranty for who ever owns the scope.

I would look at Leupold also. In your price range you can find a good scope with good optics and a heck of a warranty for who ever owns the scope.
I've got to say that without a doubt I'm more impressed by the VX-6 4-24x50 every time I pick it up.

I made a good head shot on a sow walking through tall grass yesterday and I'm still amazed at how clearly I could pick her up with it. The clarity is one thing but the distinction between the colors is amazing along with the crispness of edges when you get the parallax really dialed in.

I had a client shoot that rifle last week and he was just blown away and he's a guy who spends considerable sum on his own rifles and quality glass.

They don't come "cheap" but you sure get a lot for the money.

If you are punching targets at LR, then quality glass may be as important as anything, but I find that from a hunting perspective, in the field, I am more concerned with doping my adjustments correctly and reliably.

Given these priorities, I have found the Vortex HS LR series to be the best for the $ by far. First, the clicks are quite reliable and distinct. Read reviews, you will find a lot of positive opinions to support. The2 moa wind hold off's on their reticle is very unique in this price range and as we know, doping wind at LR, is near the top of the MUST list. Reviews also support the overall reliability and toughness of these scopes. On the other hand I would rate the clarity of the glass as average, certainly equal to Bushnell Elite and Nikon Monarch's I have owned and shot, but no where near my Conquests.

My conquests are By Far, the best glass for the $ I have seen, my 6.5x20 rivals my Swaro spotter. They just don't match up in the field for setting up longer shots, and frankly as long as I can see the critter well enough to properly place the crosshairs, I am fine. My Swaro spotter and bino's do all the finding and field judging. I would pick the Zeiss as my second favorite, as they I don't know another brand that gives more for the $ other than Vortex.

I don't understand why more scope manufacturers don't have the moa/mil based has hashmarks on the horizontal line for wind holdoffs, to go with the dials?

For me most other manufacturers just don't have realistic options for shooting past 500 yards and holding off for wind, in a price point under $700.

I don't own a $1500+ scope yet, though I am sure I will try a Nightfforce one day, but since I am a hunter first, and hunt the steep public lands of Idaho which requires a lot of vertical miles, carrying guns over 10lbs and scopes over 30oz don't strike as logical, so again the Viper HS and the Conquests seem to fit the bill well, and since they are mid price point they fit the OP's original question quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.