Chassis, good, bad, or indifferent

Easily and highly changeable ergonomics and accessories.

I think it's all personal, but I find a huge benefit in my shooting to having the perfect butt length, butt pad height(high) cheek height etc.

Those translate to LRH well. Other things like mlok attachment out front really help with adding weight for competition and importantly for moving weight so the rifle balances how you want it.

The biggest negatives for hunting are weight, forend shape if you shoot off hand, and metal is cold as snot in the cold.

So what's the whole purpose of a chassis? Will it work on a hunting rifle or is it specific to target shooting?
TIA
One advantage of a chassis (not all) is its modularity. It can be used for both hunting and target shooting.

YouTube has quite a few comparisons too.

This is what I have on my last build.

.338 Thor scoped 2 of 4.jpg

.338 Thor scoped 4 of 4.jpg

Last edited:
I used to hate chassis. Now that I've been shooting them in competition I've moved everything to chassis. The best thing is that, as I shoot more and make subtle changes to cheek height and LOP, I can then adjust every chassis to that. It's much more difficult to adjust a stock. Sure, I can conform to something that doesn't 'fit' right but I don't have to with a chassis.

If you shoot an AR Platform there is not much difference with Chassis.
Chassis are versatile on configurations to fit the shooter along with accessories and weight. With traditional wood or composite stocks you try to fit the shooter to the rifle. With a Chassis you can fit the rifle to the shooter.
Manufactures are making "Hunter" Chassis so weight is not a factor. You can go light or heavy (add subtract wight).
As far as "COLD" - if it is cold out you are going to wear gloves. A rifle with a composite/wood/metal stock are all the same temp at the ambient temp. Most Chassis have "M" Loc or other similar systems and Manufactures are making fore stock composite covers that attach so you are not touching metal.
If you look at PRS (Precision Rifle Series) of Shooting it is most fitted for "Hunting Style Shooting" ALL POSITIONS. Chassis are the #1 type of stock used in PRS.

Easily and highly changeable ergonomics and accessories.

I think it's all personal, but I find a huge benefit in my shooting to having the perfect butt length, butt pad height(high) cheek height etc.

Those translate to LRH well. Other things like mlok attachment out front really help with adding weight for competition and importantly for moving weight so the rifle balances how you want it.

The biggest negatives for hunting are weight, forend shape if you shoot off hand, and metal is cold as snot in the cold.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's something. They are not my style but it would help. I'd rather wrap an entire forend in athletic tape but whatever gets the skin off of metal works.

I like that my krg has plastic on the rear area so it's less of a worry.

It's a minor gripe in general but I have found it annoying carrying metal framed rifles (mostly ARs)

Modularity and ruggedness. Both myself and my 9 year old son have the same XLR chassis. They use AR type grips and stocks. I have a magpul m-lok bipod on mine, and also have the option of throwing it in my arca tripod if I'm in deep snow, weird angle, or just need more height. Also I dont care about scratches, moisture, or any weather elements, and the cerakote covered magnesium doesnt care either. The last two pics below are from my late season cow elk hunt last season.

Screenshot_20230226-223642_Gallery.jpg
20230409_101555.jpg
Resized_20221212_112400.jpeg
Resized_20221213_082335.jpeg

I love the folding option on mine, fantastic in a pack. The cold also doesn't bother me, however I don't use this rifle as a "walking" rifle, it is in a pack until I get to a destination, then it comes out as I glass. Then if I spot an animal I want to take, I will carry it until I get in a shooting position if I even need to move. However it spends FAR more time in a pack than in my hands. For a timber or walking rifle, I would personally go for a more traditional stock.

Recent Posts