338 SNIPE TAC- GOOD OR BAD ??

Down Under Hunter

Hi guys

I am looking for a new rifle to hit 600 lbs deer out to 1000 yards. I am seriously looking at the 338 snipe tac with nxs 5-22. What is everyones thoughts. Do you think it is overkill ? I had been looking at 300 rum and ultras and Laps, but the snipe tac just seems to blow them all away. I'm looking at spending some serious cash either way. Just interested in your thoughts ?

Many thanks
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 338 Snipe Tac is an Extreme range specilized piece of equipment.Out to 100 yards any of the other calibers that you listed would be more than adequate....I am building a 338 Laupa to get out past a mile............

I'd go for it in the Snipe-Tac

I'm shooting a 338 RUM, 300gr SMKs @ 2730 FPS and it just doesn't measure up to an Edge, AM or Snipe-Tac. The RUM is pretty decent but time of flight is just a bit too long.

jwp475

You must really like [censored] to go every where when you hit them if you are using a snipe tac for 100yrds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That was supposed to be 1000 yards not 100.....The software won't let me edit the post......But no I don't see the need for the Snip Tac until you get out farther than 1K,I do see it's advantage at shoter distances thou......
thumb.gif

Roy
What do you figure the edge has over your RUM. 2730 doesn't sound to bad, plus your're probably getting it out of a 26" barrel. I believe I've read ya need at least 30" to make the Edge work.
Phil

Ouch, the Edge is a Ford Focus. I guess I need to try one these Snipe Tacs or AMs.

Not knowing any better I would have said an ICBM compared to a Tomahawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.