changing Remington barrel threads to Winchester??

8x68s

For the Gunsmiths:
I have a Remington barrel threaded 1.0625"x16tpi and wondering if it's just a recut to achieve 1"x16tpi of the Winchester persuasion?
Thanks for your wisdom!
Greg

Not a gunsmith, but machinist handbook shows minor diameter of 1.0625"x16tpi to be 0.9876, so technically you would not have full thread height for 1" if you completely eliminated the existing thread.

I was thinking in terms of following the same thread pattern and just cutting deeper to the minor diameter of the 1-16tpi (.924 dia) and @ the correct pitch dia pitch. I imagine it could be fine enough work as to be difficult??

I was thinking in terms of following the same thread pattern and just cutting deeper to the minor diameter of the 1-16tpi (.924 dia) and @ the correct pitch dia pitch. I imagine it could be fine enough work as to be difficult??
Picking up an existing thread can be tricky if it's not a technique you use often, but it certainly can be done. Prob a YouTube video on it these days

Absolutely you can. A smith would have to indicate the tenon/chamber in and pick up the lead of the thread. Major diameter can then be machined to the 1.00" required size. Then start cutting the pitch dia. To fit the receiver. The length of the tenon, thread relief and face will have to match the receiver requirement for headspace. That may be the killer if brand X does not meet brand Y tenon configuration. Only a smith can tell you.

For the Gunsmiths:
I have a Remington barrel threaded 1.0625"x16tpi and wondering if it's just a recut to achieve 1"x16tpi of the Winchester persuasion?
Thanks for your wisdom!
Greg

Unfortunately it's not just a 'simple' re-cutting of the action threads.

The thread tenons are different lengths.

The Remington 3-rings of steel have to be removed.

Cut a new chamber.

Now, if DIY gets a workout for you on the lathe, have at it because you will get a workout. Be sure your math skills are sharp.

Enjoy!

:)

Cut a new chamber.

Now, if DIY gets a workout for you on the lathe, have at it because you will get a workout. Be sure your math skills are sharp.

Enjoy!

I'll gladly take the advice of the Big Dogs and let them do the work! Maybe not this work, but... As always S.T., thanks for your wisdom.

Bob Pastor "The VIPER" "Chambering from the Lathe Cave" taught me how to pick a thread up. and it was quite a while ago and never had cause to do it again, so my mind is a bit foggy. Bob had video U Tube instructing how to pick up the thread. Unfortunately, he took most of his instruction video off of U-Tube. "TheViper6506"

I spoke with Bob the other day and he should be sending us the video instructions on this issue. Hopefully we will get the video soon and I can share the information.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:

Cut a new chamber.

Enjoy!

^^^ This.
Turning down the major diameter of the tenon and picking up the threads is simple- it's the rest of it as he's said above that makes it impractical from a cost perspective.

It's more common to modify the 70 for 700 barrels- enabling the owner to use simple prefits if desired. Receivers are the same diameter, so there's no concern about removing a bit of material from the receiver. Manson makes a receiver reamer and tap for this...