chambering help

fisherman98

i am finally getting a new barrel from either Shilen or Bartlein Barrels, i have a Remington 700 30-06 and now it comes to the twist and grain size and my brain hurts from so much reading and thinking. I will be hunting whitetail and hogs with it along with a lot of range. 150 grain are fast but little weight but the big 200-220 have weight but no speed. I don't know what the size will do to the range though, but i don't plan on shooting much over 600-700 yds because i have no place that is that wide open here. what size would yall suggest and twist?

most factory 30.06 barrels come with a 10 twist. When I got my PacNor, I got an 11 twist. I think the 11 twist is the perfect rate for a 308 and 30.06 unless you plan on using 220 bullets frequently.

Interesting selection between Shilen v. Bartlien. I have both brands. Good luck with your choice.

The largest bullet I shoot from my .06 is the 200 AB and I did that just for bait-n-wait bear hunting. The reality is you don't need to shoot any bullet bigger than a 180 unless you want to try the 185 VLD or 190 VLD.

I don't recommend a VLD on up close hogs but do for long range. Unfortunately, hunting is never a sure thing when it comes to distances.

I think a good choice to consider is the 180 Accubond. My .06 shoots them over 55.5 gr Re19 in Lapua brass and Fed 210M primers into 3 shot touching clusters more often than not. I killed a black bear in BC with this combo at 200 yards.

Thanks I was thinking a 1-11 too, I was just looking for a good barrel and those two seem to be the best but I've looked at Pacnor and others too, I was thinking of shooting in the middle with the 180's so I could have the best of both speed and weight.

it is hard to find the "best" barrel. Especially between the differences of opinion regarding cut rifling v. button rifling.

Some smiths don't like the steel Lilja uses where others don't care because they just flat out shoot.

The only 2 makers that I've never heard any controversy over are Hart and Krieger. So, there's a button and cut for you right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.